Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Studio Lighting, Flash & Other

Old Jun 3, 2006, 2:08 PM   #1

hello!!!! I've been trying to synchronize my D70 with the STUDIO SYSTEMS SPS100, but, by the time the camera takes the picture the lights already went off, resulting in a very dark picture. How can I make the lights go off at the same time of the picture? thank you very much!!!!!!
VSGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 3, 2006, 5:10 PM   #2

VSGM wrote:
Quote:
hello!!!! I've been trying to synchronize my D70 with the STUDIO SYSTEMS SPS100, but, by the time the camera takes the picture the lights already went off, resulting in a very dark picture. How can I make the lights go off at the same time of the picture? thank you very much!!!!!!
You need to set your camera's flash/synch (shutter) speed to 1/500sec.
Old Jun 3, 2006, 9:20 PM   #3

thanks for answering so soon, I tried that but, still they don't synch. Thank you again........
Old Jun 4, 2006, 9:00 AM   #4
Administrator

If they've got built in optical slave triggers, and you're trying to use the camera's flash to trigger them, a preflash is causing the problems.

Most Digital Cameras use a metering preflash that can trigger optical slaves too soon.

You'll need to use the camera's flash in manual mode versus TTL (setting power to full, 1/2, 1/4, 1/8 or 1/16) to eliminate the preflash. Ditto if you're using a Nikon Speedlight to trigger them (you'll need to use manual power settings versus TTL). Flash mode is option 19 in your custom settings menu:

Another option would be to buy slave triggers designed to ignore preflashes. Wein makes some "digital aware" slave triggers that can ignore a preflash.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2006, 12:11 PM   #5

thank you very much!!!!!!!! I'll try that.

Old Jun 15, 2006, 2:00 PM   #6

If you are going to use studio strobes you need to invest in a flash meter and a Nikon AS-15 sync terminal adapter to connect a flash sync cord to your camera. Then set your D70 to manual mode. Meter the lights with your new meter and fire away.

TTL is not going to function at all with strobes. I have always found that using my camera in manual mode for every Nikon I ever owned was the best way to use studio lights. F4,D100,8700,and now My D200 all require manual mode for studio strobes.

When you order or purchase your light meter make positive you get a FLASH meter. I'm pretty sure you will need the Nikon AS-15 adapter unless your D70 already has a place to plug in a sync cord. My D-100 did need the adapter. My D200 does not. If your lights did not come with a sync cord you will need to get one.

Ronnie,
Ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote