Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Studio Lighting, Flash & Other

Old Jun 14, 2006, 7:57 PM   #1

I just recieved my Elinchrom D2 lite kit today, looks really good so far, quality packaging and storage bags,2 flash heads,2 light stands,2collapsable umbrellas, and velcro softbox covers ( attatch over umbrellas) complete with DVD "lighting for beginners".I`m really impressed with the quality of this entry level studio kit and cannot wait to test it out.Just need a hotshoe adapter for my D50.

Has anyone had any experience with this kit?

TD

BTW it cost me £399 from http://www.warehouseexpress.com

tommysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 15, 2006, 7:19 AM   #2

No experience with it but I'm looking to buy one too. I'd be very interested if you could post some results. are you using it for Portraiture??
Adambrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2006, 10:46 AM   #3

I will post some shots sometime over the weekend,I`ve never used flash of any kind (other than on camera).I dont have a light meter at the moment, so I`ll be winging it as allways :G. Yes I bought the light kit for portraiture.

TD
Old Jun 23, 2006, 5:13 AM   #4

I think the Elinchrom D-lite 2 kit I bought is excellent.After a couple of test shots ,and settings adjustments I was pleased with the quality of pictures.
This is Tommysmum ,excuse the backdrop its an old kitchen blind draped over the fridge.I had the larger softbox infront and slightly above her head, the second smaller softbox lower to the left,set at 1 stop lower than the main light,the main softbox was at full power.I did trip the thermal cutout after about 80-90 continuous shots,the recharge time is good ,under a second.

TD

Nikon D50, Tamron 18-200 , F11, 1/1250th,( I bought a flash meter but it was dud , just changed it this morning)

pretty much straight from camera,minimal editing, retouched the eye slightly
Attached Images

Old Jun 23, 2006, 8:33 AM   #5

Hi TD,

Picture looks very good on My screen. I used to use Elinchrom studio lights in the small Studio at Daytona Beach Community College school of Photography. They are very good lights and plenty of accessories are available for them. A lot of professionals I know use them in their studio's. I started out with Novatrons and sold them and got White Lightnings when I started making $$$$, I then opted for the Calumet Traveler 750's I use now. These are very easy to lug around if I need to take them on location and function very good for anything I want them to do.

I'm now really beginning to be a real wimp because I found that with the Nikon D-200 and three speedlights I can use TTL and set up in a breeze with excellent results. The Nikon Flash's are small, light and function perfect on any location and do not need wires or be plugged in at all. (GREAT)

I still use the 750's on big pay jobs just to make the client feel He is getting His $$$$'s worth. If you make it look to easy they think you are ripping them off or they will start doing the photographs themselves.

Good luck with your new lights and show us some more pictures.

Ronnie
Ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2006, 11:02 AM   #6

Thanks Ronnie, I have started my ownCommercial photography business and have landed a big portrait job (20 people for a law firm).I have to get practising :G.I have a studio in my Cousins Design and Advertising Company.I may opt for the speedlight setup when I upgrade my kit.For now though the Elinchrom setup is great.I can set up in about 10 mins and they pack away in 2 small shoulder bags.

I`d like a D-200 but they are just out of my price range, I had the money for it but I opted for the Light kit, SB 600 speedlight, and a sigma 10-20 lens (very good lens). I take a lot of building shotsfor real estate and Housing developments, the lens has paid for itself in just 2 weeks.I may have to bridge the gap with a D70s

TD

Old Jun 23, 2006, 4:56 PM   #7

Hi TD,

Nothing at all bad about the D-70s. I had a D-100 and 24/120 "VR" lens before so I just waited it out for the D-200.

If I did nothear aboutthe D-200 and it's functions about a year ago from an un-named Nikon source I would have bought a D-70. I'm sure you will do good portraits with your set-up. Let us all know how you make out.

Ronnie,

Ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2006, 11:14 PM   #8

Thank you for the reply Ronnie and for the good words,I can`t believe I am making aliving off something I love so much.I owe it to the people who commented on my work and pushed me further.(the nicepeople in the Kodak forum)

Through reading these forums and the input of many knowledgeable people I do things with my camera which come to me as second nature,for that I thank you all
(bloody heck I`m makin £200 per picture)

You know who you are

TD

I am very drunk and grateful

http://www.davemcgrath.co.uk (I have to add loads more pics)

Old Aug 21, 2006, 5:26 PM   #9

Hi,

The photo looks cool, nicely exposed.

I'm buying the same light kit on wednesday, I'm looking forward to it!

It will be my first lighting kit.

funkyphotography is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2006, 5:30 PM   #10

You will not regret the purchase,the softboxes take a little bit of time to put together but its a quality bit of kit.

TD