Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Studio Lighting, Flash & Other

Old May 5, 2003, 1:48 PM   #1

Default Studio lighting for portraits

I m going to experiment portrait photography. I have done a lot in out door but at the moment it is difficult for me to select lighting for studio. Can any body tell me which kind of studio lighting is better for portrait photography. please also tell me about the differece between flesh and continous lighting and there advantages.
hamid is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 5, 2003, 2:08 PM   #2

To start with, you need a studio lighting kits with two monolights, two umbrellas and two light stands. One for key light and one for fill light. You also need a handheld flash meter to determine the proper exposure, the Sekonic L358 is a good choice for this purpose (it also has the flash analysis function, very useful).

Continuous lighting equipment are heavy, sometimes with long shooting hours it could get very hot, it will affect the temperature of your room also, if you shoot with smaller aperture for more DOF, your subject sometimes feels so umcomfortable because he/she can't move during the shot, you have to you filter to convert the ambient light to daylight and make th eproper adjustment to your exposure base on the filter factor. Flash lighting equipment are more compact, easy to use, cool, and more powerful, ex: the monolight rated at 640w/s will give you a lot of choice over several available F-stop, the F-stops use and lighting ratio control and DOF, flash duration is also helping to freeze the action, eliminating the blur effect when your subject moves a little during the shot.

When you feel comfortable with the system, you can add on one more light to use to control the back ground or for hair light, there will be plenty of room to improve you existing lighting system base on what you need.
tuanokc@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2003, 2:19 PM   #3

Thanks! a lot
hamid is offline   Reply With Quote