Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Studio Lighting, Flash & Other

Old Aug 14, 2006, 10:11 AM   #11
NHL

This is how the Canon's wireless work: http://eosseries.ifrance.com/eosseries/en/flashwork/

hgernhardtjr is correct: The Canon's built-in flash can not control the slaves. Only Minolta(Sony) and Nikon dSLRs allow the built-in flash to control the slaves - With Canon you need to use either an ST-E2 or another external Master flash

-> For the price of an ST-E2 you can also get a Sigma EF-500 DG Super which has all the feature of the older 550EX, but can be turned to an ST-E2 by disable it's own output (i.e. won't contribute to the lighting)

NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2006, 10:56 AM   #12

What I find nice about using an encodedsystem flash like my Canon ex system is it prevents other (over my shoulder or alongside (with my permission), or spurious) flash firings from tripping my multi-setup at, for example, a wedding, informal group meeting, or some similar gathering.

BTW, according to others' experience the ST-E2 appears to be not as powerful (distance-wise) as the 580ex (set to flash or not) and, like NHL states, theSigma EF-500 DG Superis cheaper and can flash when needed (whereas the ST-E2 cannot).
hgernhardtjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2006, 12:07 PM   #13

hgernhardtjr wrote:
Quote:
Urbanaries, you are correct.

Like you, I have not been able to get my 30D (or 20D) to fire the 580ex as a slave using only the camera's on-board flash (in other words, sense the IR light). I also have not tried to hard to trip with IR, either, because their normal method is so very good. Perhaps vvixen's Rebel can communicate, but I doubt it.
I have fired the 580ex(in manual mode) withthe onboardusinga peanut but it isVERYinconsistent.

I don't havecontinuous studiolights yet so I'm pretty limited. I've been using the 580 on its own quite a bit lately with decent results, even for studio-type shots. http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...amp;forum_id=5 The B&W shots were with a black backdrop, andvery lowambient light. I used the AF assist beam and it workedsuprisingly well.

When I have the $$ and am ready to purchase more lighting, I'm unsure whether to purchase more speedlites and a transmitter to fully leverage the 'system' as you say, or go with continuous lights. I do weddings occasionally but mostlycasual/candid portraits. Are there any good links for the 580ex/speedlite learning curve? I've checked outStrobist and he has a good site, but his info ison fully manual/simplistic nikon strobes.

(don't mean to hijack this thread but it is a topic I'm interested in!)

lynne
urbanaries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2006, 2:03 PM   #14
NHL

urbanaries wrote:
Quote:
I have fired the 580ex (in manual mode) withthe onboardusinga peanut but it isVERYinconsistent.
This is because the onboard flash is always in automatic mode (hence it'll preflash) an will fool the peanut into firing your 580EX too early!

-> The trick is to press the * button (FEL) while pointing the camera away from the peanut, this will force the onboard to pre-flash first, and not fire your remote slave(s). While holding this * button down press the shutter release the real flash will fire a 2nd time - this will reliably trigger your peanut/580EX

Quote:
I'm unsure whether to purchase more speedlites and a transmitter to fully leverage the 'system' as you say, or go with continuous lights. I do weddings occasionally but mostly casual/candid portraits.
Continuous light is easier to "see" and is the least expensive, but they are hot and often not powerful enough (if they are then they are even hotter)
Flashes give you much more option in attachments, but if you're really into studio IMO you should consider the affordable Alien Bees
-> The Canon/Sigma is only for convenience and portability

Quote:
Are there any good links for the 580ex/speedlite learning curve? I've checked out Strobist and he has a good site, but his info is on fully manual/simplistic nikon strobes.
He was the "Grand Daddy" in wireless primer: http://www.friedmanarchives.com/flash.htm
Old Aug 14, 2006, 6:04 PM   #15

Urbanaries, I found this site a couple years ago and it was very useful to me re the Canon EOS flash system: http://photonotes.org/articles/eos-flash/.

And NHL,THANK YOUfor the "FEL" tip ... I had not tried that (didn't even think of it!) with my old 283 flashes and the IR peanuts but I can see where it would work very well. Whew,the Canon E-TTL II flash system is so complex one almost needs a course in it alone!
hgernhardtjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2006, 8:42 PM   #16
NHL

hgernhardtjr wrote:
Quote:
And NHL,THANK YOUfor the "FEL" tip ... I had not tried that (didn't even think of it!) with my old 283 flashes and the IR peanuts but I can see where it would work very well. Whew,the Canon E-TTL II flash system is so complex one almost needs a course in it alone!
Just be careful with this! (i.e. only do this when the camera is on manual)

Because the FEL (*) lock the flash value, this will only work when the slave(s) are much more powerful and can overwhelm the built-in flash - Otherwise when both flash fired they will overexpose the 'locked-in' FEL value...

I would point the camera's built-in flash close to a white wall where it'll be forced to put out the least amount of light when the FEL button is pressed (where it won't contribute to the lighting for the real shot there after)!