Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Studio Lighting, Flash & Other

Old Aug 9, 2006, 10:22 AM   #1

Hi,

Even I read lot of about white balance and bought Grey card for white balnce I have constant problem when shooting indoor with my improvising lights.

I have Umbrella with silver cover reflecting paper and some halogen 150W lamps for imbrella and for background. For a back light I use 40 to 60w spot lamp. All this in a room 4x3.5m=approx. up to 12sq.m.

Original photos are to yellow and that is normal if you do not do white balance before shooting. In psd I use grey card as a referance to balance onphotos taken is similar conditions. But I'm not satisfied with what I get.

Where could be mistake.

Should I even do white balance preset with white paper and plus in PSD to use grey card......

All sugestions are welcome cause it is very important issue for me..... good colors are prime thing for me......

Thanks
ZAKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 9, 2006, 1:01 PM   #2

You should set your WB to tungsten (or incandescent) when using halogen bulbs. Sometimes the cloudy setting works even better....although, if you shoot in RAW mode it won't matter much where it's set.
Old Aug 14, 2006, 8:58 PM   #3
NHL

Kalypso is right, but even then your two spot lamps are "yellower' than the Halogen which is made 'cooler' by the silver cover (i.e. use white instead) - If possible use the same type of lamps all across
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2006, 12:04 AM   #4
Administrator

Even better is to use the camera's Custom WB setting if it has one. Use a known gray photo target or at the very least a matte white target card to set the custom color temperature to match your lighting setup.
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2006, 8:00 AM   #5

First my camera has custom white balance called white balance pre-set but I can not use grey card for this option only white paper or such.

Grey card I only can use as referance image for photoshop white balance after photo shoting.

My aim is to have photos allready white balanced during shooting and just to make some small adjustments in photoshop after shoting.

I have umbrella with silver cover. What does this silver cover to the colors. I did not understand well. Silver cover make colors yellow or even red cast. If there was white umbrella what color cast would I have then.

What is the reflection of the halogen light against the tungsen bulbs. What color cast does eather ofthem.

I use both of them mixed for shoting.

I know that when I shot with natural light my photos are very good color balanced but in studio with non-natural light everyting isso different and not good enough...

What would be the change if I implement a flash for studio shoting like Metz 54 MZ4 or Canon 550 EX as a strobe flash....

Thanks

ZAKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2006, 10:11 AM   #6
NHL

ZAKD wrote:
Quote:
First my camera has custom white balance called white balance pre-set but I can not use grey card for this option only white paper or such.
Wrong - Try it the grey card or white card work out to be the same (it's just lower in brightness) white balance!

... I know what the Canon manual says to use. It doesn't make a difference (the RGB value are still the same, i.e. neutral)

Quote:
What would be the change if I implement a flash for studio shoting like Metz 54 MZ4 or Canon 550 EX as a strobe flash....

The flashes have the same color temperature as the daylight... The spots and Halogen are incandescent instead!

-> Take a test shot with the on-board flash with the halogen on - you should see the different color casts right away!
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2006, 10:24 AM   #7

The lighting color of halogen bulbs depends on their wattage (& is normally listed on the package). Tungsten are ususaly 3200K (but it depends on if you use cool-white bulbs or another "standard" type). Their color cast is ususally yellow (if you don't adjust your cameras WB for them). A silver umbrella will make for a "whiter-to-blue" color cast (again, depending on the bulb).
Old Aug 27, 2006, 8:08 PM   #8

I'm so happy to find and join this thread
. I have a similar problem setting custom WB of my R1.
Taking photos indoors where rooms are stuffed with furniture, wall as usual are painted and lights are often ON I've found out it is quite difficult to set custom WB. I use HP photo paper as a gray card. Drawbacks are: firstly I have to carry with me 8x11 sheet of photo paper that is very inconvenient and secondly the results are not very good.
I'd like to know your opinion on EXPODISC white filter. Does it worth $100?
Or may be there is another way to set custom WB that I do not know?

Thanks in advance to everybody for a help.

BR
Simon G.
s_grins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2006, 10:27 PM   #9

s_grins wrote:
Quote:
I'm so happy to find and join this thread
. I have a similar problem setting custom WB of my R1.
Taking photos indoors where rooms are stuffed with furniture, wall as usual are painted and lights are often ON I've found out it is quite difficult to set custom WB. I use HP photo paper as a gray card. Drawbacks are: firstly I have to carry with me 8x11 sheet of photo paper that is very inconvenient and secondly the results are not very good.
I'd like to know your opinion on EXPODISC white filter. Does it worth $100?
Or may be there is another way to set custom WB that I do not know?

Thanks in advance to everybody for a help.

BR
Simon G.
Yes...you can print out a gray card using any color printer (don't use "glossy" paper) amd almost any photo-editing software. But, if I wanted one, I'd get this 18% gray colored micro-fiber cloth:

http://www.adorama.com/CPCEG.html?se...&item_no=2

They are the best lens cleaning cloths & the right color too!
Old Aug 28, 2006, 10:30 AM   #10

Mr. Kalypso.
I'd like to express all my gratitude.
I've ordered 3 packs and I believe I can glue one on solid plastic surface 4x6 without harm to a color for CWB setup.

Gratefully
Simon G.
s_grins is offline   Reply With Quote