Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Studio Lighting, Flash & Other

Old Aug 19, 2006, 11:20 PM   #1

I was just wondering if anyone has tried this before. Initially, I was looking at the extension cords that would allow me to place my speedlite 580EX somewhere else (off shoe cord), but the only thing that supports ETTL is a small cord that can only extend up to 0.6m.

So now I'm wondering about using the flash(with a reflector) and a cheap constant light source. The main problem I see are two very different light sources that could give me weird colour effects.

I don't really want to keep the constant light source, so I'm planning to invest in another speedlite. But that's a bit later.

Should I bother with this setup or try to manage with just a flash?

Appreciate any comments.
BoYFrMSpC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 20, 2006, 9:04 AM   #2

Any time you use fill flash outdoors, you are effectively doing the same thing. I do it all the time & set my WB using a gray card (or shoot in RAW & adjust it later). Below was done with halogen hot lights & a front fill flash:

Old Sep 11, 2006, 12:50 PM   #3

BoYFrMSpC wrote:
Quote:
I was just wondering if anyone has tried this before. Initially, I was looking at the extension cords that would allow me to place my speedlite 580EX somewhere else (off shoe cord), but the only thing that supports ETTL is a small cord that can only extend up to 0.6m.

So now I'm wondering about using the flash(with a reflector) and a cheap constant light source. The main problem I see are two very different light sources that could give me weird colour effects.

I don't really want to keep the constant light source, so I'm planning to invest in another speedlite. But that's a bit later.

Should I bother with this setup or try to manage with just a flash?

Appreciate any comments.

I use cut gel sheets taped over my strobes to match the color temperature of the ambient lighting. Another guy I shoot with does a lot of interiors, and he will wrap lampshade interiors with gel paper to get the ambient lighting to match the color of his film. It's just a matter of understanding color temperatures and correction methods.

Hope this helps,

Chris M
www.imagineimagery.com
ChrisDM is offline   Reply With Quote