Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Studio Lighting, Flash & Other

Old Oct 26, 2006, 7:45 PM   #21
Administrator

The Hong Kong based vendor selling that 3rd party adapter has a very good reputation (100% positive feedback with over 22,000 transactions). ;-)

I've got one of them.

But, if a genuine FS-1100 would not work, the 3rd party adapter is not going to work either. Both are just mechanical adapters (no electronics, as they're just connecting the right pins from the Minolta hotshoe to the ISO standard shoe in the adapter).

If I can find out any specifics on the triggers that work, I'll post the info here. I've seen reports that Pocket Wizards work via an FS-1100. I've also seen someone post that they bought a $19 radio trigger from Ebay that works via the FS-1100 (but, they didn't mention the brand).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2006, 12:47 AM   #22

Jim,

Yes..that would be of gat help.

What I have not tried yet is to see if an ISO flash would work with this adaptor, which has been designed fot that specific purpose..

I'll keep reading and see what I find.

I am almost running out of time for buying the camera.. .. and its forcing me to try a nikon D80 or Canon xTi.
Shri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2006, 8:59 AM   #23
Administrator

Shri wrote:
Quote:
Jim,

Yes..that would be of gat help.

What I have not tried yet is to see if an ISO flash would work with this adaptor, which has been designed fot that specific purpose..
As long as the trigger voltage is relatively low (this adapter has no voltage protection built in, and KM has never published the trigger voltage limits), then it should work fine with most strobes.

I've got a Sunpak 333 Auto and a Sunpak 222 Auto that both work just fine with my 3rd party FS-1100 equivalent adapter (and the FS-1100 is doing the same thing). You'll find lots of posts around from KM DSLR owners using a variety of strobes via an FS-1100 (both the genuine Minolta and 3rd Party equivalents like mine) from Sunpak, Vivitar, Metz and others.

I've got a couple of older Vivitars that I have not tried on it (since I don't want to fry my camera). lol It's probably a good idea to keep trigger voltages down to around 6 volts via one.

If you want to use a strobe with higher trigger voltages, I'd suggest getting a PCT-100 instead (which provides a PC Sync Port, along with voltage protection, so that it's safe to use strobes with trigger voltages up to 400 volts). The PCT-100 does not provide a hotshoe (only a PC Sync Port).

Old Oct 28, 2006, 11:22 AM   #24
Administrator

Update --

I found a report from someone with a 5D and 7D that says this trigger works via an FS-1100 with either camera. So, it should also work with the Sony.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=7605167198

But, it looks like the other listings this seller has now are for a different trigger.

If I can find any more reports of triggers that work, I'll post them here.

Old Oct 30, 2006, 3:55 PM   #25

I found simmular problems with my A 100. I do a lot of studio work so attaching studio flashes or a radio controll is very important to me. But te problem is very random.

My metz mecablitz 40MZ-2 with 3301 adapter works fine , also an old vectis FS-1 flash works fine. But a Sigma EF-430ST flash is properly controlled, but will not fire.
The same sigma works fine on other minolta camera's.

For use of the studio flashes i bought a hotshoe adapter III on ebay, The top shoe never workt at all (unless the wirres are ok) The sync conector on the side of the addapter workt fine for about 2 weeks (600 flashes) now the camera wont fire the studio flashes animore.

However the Metz and minolta vectis flash stil work fine.

Realy gettin anoied about this my second camera a cheap fuji S-9500 yust has a simple X and sync connector and works fine with the studio flashes.

Another anoying thing about this camera with flashes is the limited sync-time for flashes , knowing 1/60 1/125 or (with stadyshot of) 1/160 im used to using synctimes between 1/640 and 1/2000 (again with the fuji s-9500) Now im forced to use grayfilters to compensate large apretures.

Robert Poirot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2006, 1:05 PM   #26

Hi I live in Belfast (Northern Ireland) and i inherrited a lot of Minolta (Maxxum) Dynax gear among which was a Cobra 440 AF Flashgun with a dedicated Dynax foot, i measured the trigger voltage at just over 3 volts so i will see if i can find some way of using it on my Sony Alpha to trigger studio flashlights by means of a slave unit, has anyone else put a cobra gun on an Alpha?
John Maguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2006, 7:55 PM   #27

I was flipping through my latest B&H catalog & saw that Sony is offering a adapter for the Alpha to a standard hotshoe under the part # AS-1200 (although I can't find it on their site). I'd think it doesnt have a PC-cynch port (since they don't mention one).
Old Dec 27, 2006, 2:56 PM   #28

Wein have just e-mailed me telling me that they are not sure their sync-safe will work with the sony a100, I was hoping to use it with a Jessops branded dynax hotshoe adapter III that I bought from my local store which is probably simular to the "straight through connection" fs-1100 typementioned in postings here,has anyone here tried this combination?.
John Maguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2007, 9:18 PM   #29

I have been a Minolta user for some twenty years starting with a 7000 in the late eighties. As such I have a vast range of Minolta lensses and accessories. Between myself and my girlfriend we have one 7000, three 800si and elevern lensses.

I have worked in photography on/off since the early eighties, first working in a pro lab and laterly managing a studio/framing business and then a minilab/studio.

Having got fedup being told what I should do, I have taken time out to study photography doing a City & Guilds and A Level (in the UK) to finally hone my knowlege. I am also an electronics engineer having worked in the suvailance industry and then for British Telecom.

A little over a year ago I bought an Interfit studio kit, Stellar300, and was told that it had a trigger voltage of 4.5 volts and as such was digital compatable. At that time I was so anti digital I did not really take this in. I am still of the opinion that there is nothing as good as a true B&W print, however....

The work that my girlfriend and I have been doing lately makes sense of going digital and using a stand-alone dyesub printer to this end I was looking at a A100 so that we could use our Hi-End lensses and other stuff?

It was only luck that I came to this site to discover these problems with the A100 and studio Flash!

I find it hard that a company as large a Sony havn't taken into acount that users might want to use their cameras with studio kitridiculous, but maybe this is the problem too big to understand whats wanted from their kit.

Every one who has tried to sell me a Sony A100 knows that I will be mainly using it with studio flash but has not told me of the problems that this entails and it was only luck that I checked the availabilty of hotshoe converters that I found out that there is a problem.

I have never understood why so many SLR's don't have PC sockets as standard as users may see this and discide to get some studio lights and then upgrade their camera. I have been on the Sony website and have not been able to find anything about this subject or be able to ask a question via email.

Well I will be now looking at Canon, Nikon ect. more fool Sony

This is sad as I have respected the reliability of Minolta kit for years.

Sony wake up to yourself!

If anyone has any input I would like to hear it.

And Sony get your arse in gear and let me buy and use your great camera with my studio kit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
foxtalbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2007, 9:56 PM   #30
Administrator

foxtalbot wrote:
Quote:
And Sony get your arse in gear and let me buy and use your great camera with my studio kit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
And the problem is where?

Either find a Minolta PCT-100 on Ebay (it converts the hotshoe to a PC Sync Port), or buy a third party adapter like this one. There's a PC sync port built into it's base (scroll down to the images on the bottom of the page and you'll see it).

http://www.gadgetinfinity.com/produc...275&page=1

If the trigger voltage of your strobes is low, you won't even need to worry about using something like a Wein Safe Sync with it.

A number of DSLR models don't have a PC Sync Port built in (including some of the entry level Canon and Nikon models). Will Sony release another DSLR model that includes a PC Sync Port? Probably. But, in the interim, you can use an adapter.