Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Studio Lighting, Flash & Other

Old Jan 19, 2007, 10:25 PM   #31
Administrator

John Maguire wrote:
Quote:
Wein have just e-mailed me telling me that they are not sure their sync-safe will work with the sony a100, I was hoping to use it with a Jessops branded dynax hotshoe adapter III that I bought from my local store which is probably simular to the "straight through connection" fs-1100 typementioned in postings here,has anyone here tried this combination?.
Sorry John.. I missed following up to your last post.

It should work fine in theory. I've found some posts from KM 5D and A200 owners mentioning using a Safe Sync with an FS1100 before (so, the DSLR-A100 should also work with one since it's based on the same hotshoe design as the 5D). I did find one 5D owner mention that his Safe Sync quit working after a few days. But, he probably just got a defective unit (it happens). The same person is now using a radio trigger via an FS-1100 to trigger strobes (a setup he found on Ebay).

I even found one post elsewhere from a 7D owner mentioning that a 7D works fine using an FS-1100 and a Safe Sync (using the hotshoe version). I haven't found a post from a Sony DSLR-A100 owner using one yet. But, someone probably has.

You'd need to try it to make sure your specific strobes trigger OK (as there could be some compatibility quirks with some systems from time to time). So, it wouldn't hurt to buy it from a vendor with a good return policy just in case of issues. But, I don't see any reason that it shouldn't work with most strobes.

I've also seen threads on people making their own voltage protection.

You also see people report using various radio setups from time to time. I've seen reports of Pocket Wizards working fine. I also just found a post from a KM owner using a JinBei radio slave (3V trigger) via an FS-1100. So, I don't see why these solutions wouldn't work with a Sony DSLR-A100, too.

The more people that try the available solutions, the more ways we can add to the list (one's that either work or don't). Some systems may have some quirks, and others may work fine (one trigger versus another).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2007, 1:14 PM   #32

Thanks will give that a go.

Will let you know how it works out.
foxtalbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2007, 3:53 PM   #33

That adapter looks pretty much identical to the jessops one i got
John Maguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2007, 3:59 PM   #34

I totally agree with foxtalbot, asSony are allegedly serious about their A100dslr i thinkthey should really consider (Assuming they have access to all KMs photographic patents) manufacturing the PCT-100 or something like it as Jessops tell me its no longer available as a Konica-Minolta item.
Old Jan 27, 2007, 2:37 PM   #35

I am glad that someone agrees with me John.

A week ago I decided to go to my local Jessops and asked the qustion and was met with blank expressions .

Just down from Jessops is a Sony Centre and I mistakenly thought that they would know after talking to the sales man for about half an hour the outcome was him asking me if I could teach him about photography:!:.

I tried KM tech help line and they passed me on to a company who bought all KM's old stock, on phoneing them I found that they did indeed have new PCT 100 for sale but at a price £89 to be exact. I don't know if that is just proffiteering or what but paying about a fifth of the price of a new A100 for a bit of plastic with no electronics in it seems to be a bit steep. My KM of camera flash lead which consists of two seperate parts cost less!!!!

So I have ordered the flash shoe adapter type III from a power seller on Ebay in the far east, it has cost£17.98 inc p&p andthe product info states that it works with the A100 and either polarity studio lights. It does have electronics in it powered by a CR2032 i think or similar.

Anyhow I hope to receive it in a week or two and as soon as I Know one way or the other I will post the results here.

Thanks for everyones input
Old Jan 28, 2007, 11:26 AM   #36

As far as i know the PCT-100 is a bit more than a straight through adapter with no electronics, it seems from what i read to be a device rather like the wien sync-safe with a dynax hot shoe i agree however that £89.00 is sticking the arm in rather a bit but its good to know somebody can supply it
Old Jan 28, 2007, 12:03 PM   #37
Administrator

Quote:
As far as i know the PCT-100 is a bit more than a straight through adapter with no electronics, it seems from what i read to be a device rather like the wien sync-safe with a dynax hot shoe i agree however that £89.00 is sticking the arm in rather a bit but its good to know somebody can supply it
According to KM, the PCT-100 is more than just an adapter. It allows the use of strobes with higher trigger voltages (which is probably why it costs so much more compared to the FS-1100, even before the KM/Sony changeover).

The page is no longer there. But, here is an exact quote (we had discussed the differences in an older thread a while back and I found the thread with the quote and link):

Quote:
The electronics inside the PCT-100 also prevent any possible damage to the camera from high voltage trigger signals from older studio flash units
Konica Minolta Photo World Accessories Descriptions

The FS-1100 (and third party equivalent) adapters do not have any protection built in, and according to Pete Ganzel (a long time Minolta user that customizes and fixes a lot of cameras and lenses), based on what he has seen by dismantling them and examing the circuitry.

Pete says that the 7D Sync Port is protected by TRIAC devices rated at 600v (so the 400v recommendation by Minolta is conservative). I suspect that the PCT-100 is protected in a similar manner since KM indicated that it had electronics to prevent damage from higher trigger voltages.

Pete has also said that the The flash shoe connections on KM DSLR models are at TTL levels (4-6v) and the camera circuitry can easily be damaged by flash units that are not designed for the cameras.

So, if you plan on using strobes with a higher trigger voltage via a hotshoe adapter, I'd strongly recommend the use of a PCT-100, or another solution (Wein Safe Sync, third party adapter with voltage isolation, or self made isolation circuit using an SCR and battery). Pete has a schematic online for making one yourself that way:

http://www.pbase.com/pganzel/fs1100_flash_isolator

You can see Pete's description of the 7D's PC Sync Port isolation circuitry at this link (read the text under the photo about the 600v rated TRIACs being used):

http://www.pbase.com/pganzel/image/62695421

Old Feb 4, 2007, 10:05 AM   #38

I have received the flash shoe adaptor III from a sellor on EBay so far it does not work on my 800si I have yet to try it out on a A100.

I dont no if I sould have a go at reversing the polarity of the sync lead?

I have metered the teminals that the adaptor connects to and while the PC terminal flicks the needle the hotshoe connections don't.

Internally this adaptor has no electronics and is just hard wired I am a bit dubious aboout it!

My flash heads have a trigger voltage of 4.3 volts and when I bought them, even though at the time I had no intention of going digital, that they would work prefectly well with digital.

Any more ideas would be helpfull.

Am going to try it on a sony this week?

Thanks one and all.....
Old Feb 5, 2007, 7:38 AM   #39
Administrator

I don't know much about potential polarity issues. But, I've got that same adapter, and it triggers two different Sunpaks I've got fine (either via the PC Sync Port or via the Hotshot) with my KM 5D. So, it should also work fine with the Alpha (at least with Sunpaks).

I had my brother-in-law bring over a digital voltmeter to check them with a while back. But, I really wasn't paying that much attention to the polarity of the strobes (it may have been reading a negative voltage instead). lol

I'll see if he can bring his meter by this week and take a closer look to see if center is negative or postive for them. I don't trust the meters I've got (one of them wouldn't even flicker when I tried to measure trigger voltage of these two strobes, so it's impedence probably wasn't high enough to work right).

Old Feb 8, 2007, 1:07 PM   #40

Thank I am hoping to try it out with a A100 tomorrow, definatly over the weekend.