Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Studio Lighting, Flash & Other

Old Feb 10, 2007, 2:25 PM   #41

I have just tried the Hotshoe adaptor III as bought from ebay on a Sony A100 in Jessops who may I add where very helpfull (I think that they also wanted a difinitive answer) and the answer is.............

That it does work, there you go.

I'll let you know how i get on with it the A100 that is.

Once again thanks one and all

foxtalbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2007, 4:26 PM   #42
Administrator

My brother-in-law still hasn't had a change to bring his meter by. But, yes, I would think that it work fine with most strobes as long as the trigger voltage is low enough (and if not, I'd try Wein Safe Sync), although polarity could be an issue.

This 3rd party adapter works fine with two different Sunpaks on my KM 5D via either the hotshoe or the adapter's PC Sync Port, and the electronics for the hotshoe on the DSLR-A100 is probably the same as my 5D. I don't know why it didn't work on your 800si.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2007, 9:03 AM   #43

I can only assume that as the 800si has its own PC socket that the electronics to fire an external flash are dedicated to this. And that the dedicated flash is fired with a different type of signal other than a normally open switch type circuit.

I had persuaded myself that this must be the answer on the way to the camera shop and this may well be the answer as the A100 has no PC terminal the two circuits are combined in the hotshoe..... I dont really know?

Another pointis that Ihave been told that my Sunpak PZ5000AF will not work with the A100 and this seems to the general story with most new digi kit. But the sales guy told me that it may well fire but will not dedicate. So hopfully I will be able to use the flash guns internal sensor manually. While this is not ideal it may get me by for a few months while I see what flash guns become available I have always wanted a Metz.

You may well be asking 'has he not bought one yet' and the answer is no cannot tell you why at this time as I have been sworn to secrecy if what I have heard is true all will become evident by the end of the week or I could have been told a lot of bull either way a couple of days wont make much difference to me.
foxtalbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2007, 1:50 PM   #44

Jim C, following your advice I have obtained the third party Hong Kong hot shoe adapter for my Maxxum 5D. It works great via synch cord with the Sunpak 544. As you promised, the pre-flash is deactivated by the lack of full connectivity and compatibility to the Sunpack 544. Relying on the thyristor takes a little getting used to after a few years of off-the-film and then ADI flash metering, but it is coming back. I am depending upon your belief (and other published reports) that the 544 trigger voltage is in the 6V range. I am now assembling a studio setup: two 8' stands, two Adorama universal adapters,two Westcott compact umbrellas anda 15 ft sync cord extensionall at regular mail order retail for ~$160 including shipping. Not bad at all.I will use the Sunpak as the main light fired from the Chinese adapter on the camera and my Sigma 500 Super as the fill, fired by its built-in slave function, both in manual mode, of course. The point of this tale is that the lack of the synch outlet on the 5D does not have to be a hindrance at all. Even if my second flashwere without the slave function, I could still split the synch cord and fire both from the 5D-mounted adapter. Thanks for all your help.
rpenmanparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2007, 2:02 PM   #45
Administrator

I'm glad you like it.

Yes, a Sunpak 544 is a great choice in a lightweight, non-dedicated handle mount flash. I'd also look at a Metz 45-CL1 in a hammerhead type flash (you can find these at pretty good prices on the used market). I wouldn't be afraid to use either one of these on my 5D. Anything under about 8 volts and I'd be happy. It's probably a good idea to measure any flash you buy though.

You can find user measured trigger voltages for some strobes here:

http://www.botzilla.com/photo/strobeVolts.html

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote