Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Tips & Tricks

Old Jun 5, 2003, 3:03 PM   #1

Default How do I make GIF files

I have a Canon A70, and it takes continues shots. Now I want to paiste them together to make a GIF file. What is the best software to use for this problem? Can I do it with the software that was provided? This should be pretty easy, right.
This is my first time to this forum.
Thanks for the help.
Fine Then is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 5, 2003, 9:57 PM   #2

Are you saying you want to make an animated gif? Or one large picture which is made up of each picture, side by side?

The help for the program irfanview (http://www.irfanview.com) implies that it can make an animated GIF. I have never tried doing it, though, so I don't know to do it. irfanview is a completely free picture editor. I recommend it. From what little I've done with it, its well written and fairly easy to use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fine Then
This should be pretty easy, right.
I wouldn't assume this is easy. If the software is well written, it might be. If the software isn't, then it won't be. By and large, camera makers are not software companies... so I don't expect good software from them. As a programmer myself, I know from experience that it is hard to make software with a good interface. It isn't hard to make an interface which is ok... even "fairly good". But "good" is hard.
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2003, 11:33 AM   #3

I am trying to make animated GIFs. I already use Irfanview. It is a great slideshow software, but I can't figure out how to make GIFs with it. Is anyone aware of an Irfanview forum or FAQ that might be able to help me?
Thanks.
Old Jun 6, 2003, 12:27 PM   #4

O.K. Great news.
I found a little freeware programe called unFREEz.
The sole purpose of unFREEz is to turn your single frame .gif files into one animated .gif file. It does not convert to .gif, so you have to do that on your own. Then you just drag and drop, push a button and its done. That easy.
http://www.whitsoftdev.com/unfreez/
here is the link if anyone wants to try it out.
Old Jun 22, 2003, 4:31 PM   #5

unlead gif animator is one of the best progs for making animated gifs
kschewe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2003, 3:53 AM   #6

What are you trying to animate? GIFS are normally only used with what I could best describe as SOLID colors. Photo type images look horrible in GIF format because grade tones are blotchy but logos with solid tones look great.

There are many software products out there to convert images as well as aninate. I, personally, use Photshop and the entire Dreamweaver MX line for web page production.
twesterd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2004, 3:07 PM   #7

Fine Then wrote:
Quote:
O.K. Great news.
I found a little freeware programe called unFREEz.
The sole purpose of unFREEz is to turn your single frame .gif files into one animated .gif file. It does not convert to .gif, so you have to do that on your own. Then you just drag and drop, push a button and its done. That easy.
http://www.whitsoftdev.com/unfreez/
here is the link if anyone wants to try it out.

Well, a year after you posted it... thanks! Very useful info.
José A. is offline   Reply With Quote