Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Tips & Tricks

Old Jun 8, 2003, 1:33 AM   #1

Default Shooting in low light conditions (Digital Elph S300)

Hi, I have had Canon S300 for about 2 years, and I have been happy with it except for one little thing. When shooting in low light conditions.. with the flash turned off, like in an auditorium or a cathedral, the pictures come out blurry if I don't keep the camera absolutely still.

The pictures come out even worse (dark, dark) if I turn on the flash.. since it automatically increases the shutter speed and the
flash gets lost in the large space and doesn't reflect back. At least the pictures aren't blurry though.

I am thinking that this is a common problem for all cameras in general, that can't really be solved without using a tripod.. Let me know if I am wrong.

Is there a way to set the shutter speed on S300? If I increase the shutter speed without using the flash.. I have a feeling that the pictures will come out dark.

thanks,
Denizen
denizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 8, 2003, 1:59 AM   #2

Flash will get you no good results in a dark church - you will have a very difficult job matching the right light. That's why I (almost) never uses flash in chuch. I always find a chair or a wall to place my camera. This way your shots will turn out with the right whitebalance. You could also turn up the ISO setting - if your camera has this feature...

This shot was taken with natural light!

Hope you get my point about not using flash!
Klaus DK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2003, 2:35 AM   #3

Wow, that's a pretty nice picture! Which camera did u use?

Unfortunately, my digital ELF doesn't give me the option of changing the ISO. (Whatever that is.. I have been more of a point and shoot photographer.. but starting to get interested in photography after some frustrating results)

I can change the exposure compensation.. not sure if that will help.

My S300 has ISO 100, 150 ( set automatically). The latest model S400, has: ISO 50, 100, 200, 400 equivalent and Auto
so maybe a new camera will help.

thanks,
Denizen
denizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2003, 2:47 AM   #4

A shot like mine really can be done with most cameras (okay - the lens sets the limits). I used a Nikon D100 (if you're really interested you can see and read my opinion about it on my website.

(ISO is the cameras lightsentivity, which turned up will make you able to shoot at faster shuttertimes or use higher F.stops...and make your shots grainy).

The important thing is to keep the camera steady and that can only be done by not touching it - that is if the light is dimm og dark. Use the selftimer - I'm sure your camera has one.

If you manually can set the aperture on your camera this may help!

regards
Klaus
Old Jun 8, 2003, 8:40 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klaus DK
...(ISO is the cameras lightsentivity, which turned up will make you able to shoot at faster shuttertimes or use higher F.stops...and make your shots grainy)....
As Klaus notes, there is a serious cost to high ISO. My impression is that the highest (two?) ISO ratings for a camera are pretty much useless unless the image is downsized.

You should spend your efforts figuring out how to hold your camera still - no matter what ISO you have available or how fast your lens is, you will always find situations where you are pushing the limits of your gear. Getting better equipment does not mean that you won't have to figure that out.

If you are going to spend money - get a tripod. A good one that will outlast several cameras.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2003, 11:05 AM   #6

Agree Bill! The ISO statement was just an information. On my D100 I can turn the ISO up to 800 with VERY little noise. (but I seldom do).

For you Denizen - you could go for at table-tripod, which can be carried in you camerabag.

Regards
Klaus
Old Jun 10, 2003, 9:04 PM   #7

Althought it isn't perfect, I thought I'd mention the software neatimage (www.neatimage.com) It can remove noise/grain from a picture. It does a good job at keeping the detail and removing the noise.

I've used it on a 3200 ISO image and it did a decent job. Sure, I didn't go "wow, that is amazing" but I didn't expect that. If I hadn't used that ISO, I wouldn't have gotten the picture (a deer, 15 minutes after sunset.)

Check out this link, if you want to see the post-neatimage picture:
http://home.attbi.com/~e.s.smith/deer.html
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote