Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Tips & Tricks

Old Oct 17, 2006, 6:45 PM   #1
Super Moderator

Hi all you people shooting experts :-)

I have been asked by some friends of mine to shoot their family and I wanted to do something a little different so we are going to do some outdoor shots. We are going to go to a place with lawns, trees, sculptures, fountains, rocks (it adjoins the sea) etc. Any creative ideas for general composition as well as how we could use the different areas for the best effect. I will be working with the following equipment - Canon 30D, Sigma 17-70 f2.8-4.5, Sigma 70-200 f2.8 and Canon 580EX flash. I don't think the weather is going to be on our side but I might also have a reflector with me as well if it is.

If you have some ideas and have shot different things I would love to see how they came out to get the best out of this shoot.

Oh it will be 2 adults and one 4 (boy) and one 6 (girl) year old if that helps. I am going to get them to take props such as fave toys etc.

I don't really have much experience of shooting people but want to make their photos special (even though they are not paying for these I don't want to let them down).

Thanks for looking and for any assistance you can give.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 17, 2006, 7:22 PM   #2

Cloudy days are actually better than sunny days for ourdoors shots (the worlds biggest softbox). Although, if it is sunny you can pick spots in open shade, just watch your backgrounds so they aren't blown out.
Old Oct 17, 2006, 8:40 PM   #3

with all the large trees, sculptures, and rocks, just remember the people are still the subjects. Don't let the other objects overpower the shot.
Caboose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2006, 12:03 PM   #4

I saw a real awesome shot the other day the dad was piggy backing the little boy and mom and dad both had the daughters hand and they were walking away down a beach and kind of looking back. Does that make sense? It was a really cool photo. Don't know if you could do something like that or not.
Sneezy1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2006, 6:15 PM   #5
Super Moderator

Thanks guys.... I'm looking forward to this and have been looking at different shots to get extra ideas. Luckily I live near beaches so will give the last idea a try.

When I have done them I will post here for you all to see.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote