Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Tips & Tricks

Old Oct 22, 2006, 9:57 AM   #1

Hi im a newbie in dslr cameras///can anybody give me tips on taking potraits for manual mode...indoors/outdoors...i cant really get that sharp picture with the blurry background and the features a;ways seem a bit gloomy.I use a nikon d70.i always set my iso to 200 and seldom use the flash.can anyone help?oh ya..i seldom use a tripod so a tip with faster shutter setting would be great!however i still appreciate any tip..thanx
aril79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 22, 2006, 10:09 AM   #2

If you want "blurry" backgrounds, use the largest aperature (smallest f/number) possible. Do a bit of reading on depth of field.

In addition, have the background as far away as possible and use a long lens.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2006, 10:47 AM   #3

Bill's suggestion to use a large aperture has the welcome effect of causing a faster shutter speed which helps control motion blur.

Outdoor portraits may benefit from fill flash. Just pop the flash and the camera will balance the light from the flash with the ambient light in most modes. Check the owner's manual for details.

Indoor portraits may not have enough light to get decent shutter speeds and you are getting both camera and/or subject motion. The built-in flash doesn't help much here as it gives a very harsh light. An external flash, such as an SB-600, will help if you bounce the light off a low white ceiling. If you don't have an external flash try turning on more lights in the room but avoid shining them directly on the subject. A tripod will help here also by controlling camera shake. Don't forget to use a custom white balance.

Bob Nichol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2006, 4:53 PM   #4

My Custom settings for my indoor portraits (using my 7D & Norman Strobes) are: 1/125sec (my cameras flash-synch speed) & f9.5. YMMV.
Old Oct 24, 2006, 8:41 AM   #5

yo thanx pal...i'm taking better pictures already,now the only think i need is better composition indoors!thanx alot
Old Oct 24, 2006, 8:43 AM   #6

yo thanks man...my pics i getting better as i look at them already!too bad i dont have and external flash..saving for it though....thanx....one more think if you can help me...my close up sucks big time..can you help me with that?
Old Oct 24, 2006, 12:12 PM   #7

For close ups, I use a long lens & shoot from as far back as I can while filling the frame with their image. If my camera didn't have anti-shake, I would use a tripod (& did for years).

Shot info:
2006:07:09 17:12:41
105mm
157mm (in 35mm film)
1/200 sec, f/2.8
Mode: Manual
Metering: Multi-segment
Exp comp: +1
ISO: 100
White balance: Auto
Flash: Off
File size: 94KB
Image size: 480 x 600
Saturation: Normal
Sharpness: Normal
Contrast: Low
Konica Minolta 7D
Tamron 35-105mm/f2.8
Attached Images

Old Oct 25, 2006, 5:31 PM   #8

Use apertures of f2.8 or 3.5 and lens at 70-150mm and you'll get beautiful background blurred portraits.
msantos is offline   Reply With Quote