Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Tips & Tricks

Old Oct 30, 2006, 12:23 PM   #1

Hey everybody let me firts start by sayingI am so happy that i found this site!! Now on to my question. I just got a job... to shoot a wedding it' a civil wedding and I hav no idea what to do. The couple just said they wanted fresh and new talent, so they knowI am not a professional, but I still feel a great deal of pressure. I first off just want your guys' tips then onceI have those I will post some questionsI have formulated... Please if you have shot a wedding give me any advice becauseI can use all the helpI can get! Thanks so much.
alceve is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 30, 2006, 3:32 PM   #2

What gear do you have at your disposal? How long have you used said equipment??

You mentioned you were 'hired' - what are you contractually obligated to supply (# shots, # locations, is there a specific list of shots to be taken, etc)?
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2006, 3:40 PM   #3

Hi thanks for your response. I have a Canon EOS 20D- 28-200 lense and two other smaller lenses i don't prefer to use. YesI was hired.I will be at the ceremony the whole tim and at the reception.They haven't specified shots butI am planning ona pretty large family i'mworking with mostly i'm a little worried about posing andjust capturing the mood you know.
Old Oct 30, 2006, 3:56 PM   #4

Do you have an external flash (plus preferably flash bracket)?

Is flash allowed for the ceremony? Or do you need a different lens - no way that lens is going to do justice to low light shots

Do you have a backup camera body and lenses?

Have you done any portrait work or even work before?

Old Oct 30, 2006, 4:00 PM   #5

HUMMM BOY. well no i do not have a nother flash just the one onthe camera... what should i be looking at...remember I am new the the big type of photography.I have dane several families and lots of senior and missionary pictures but nothing like this..
Old Oct 31, 2006, 7:34 AM   #6

Alceve,

I have to be blunt here. You do not have the proper equipment, nor th proper experience to be a paid weddig photographer. If it was a favor to a friend for free who otherwise would have no pictures then that's different. But, accepting a paid contract without anything resembling the right equipment and without any type of prior experience is extremely unprofessional.

You seem like a nice enough person, so I hate to be so rude to you. But I can't get past the fact you are accepting money for an event you're unprepared to shoot. And, even if it is just a civil ceremony its the most important day in these people's lives. It's not like you agreed to take some baby portraits or something.

My honest advice is: you need to be honest with your clients and let them know you don't have the equipment or experience to cover the event. If they can't find a replacement photog in time you should agree to shoot for free.

Good luck - you've dug yourself a very big hole
Old Oct 31, 2006, 9:42 AM   #7

Ali....
Go to your post up in "Newbie Help"....There are some good tips and tricks and suggestions listed there...
john
John at the Beach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2006, 2:56 PM   #8

just so you know i was incredibly honest with these people i said to them when they called that i had absolutely no experience. and they said it is totally fine they want to gie new fresh talent a shot i don't know what they are thinking but i refused the job at first and even offered them to my boss who is an incredbly professional photographer but they called back and said they wanted to use me and they were willing to pay i then prceeded to tell them that i don't have the right equipment and they said that they just wanted to give me a chance to expand my portfolio. Just thought you should knowIdo not pretend to be anything i am not. Thanks for your responses, no matter the content of them. Ali

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"
Old Nov 7, 2006, 3:12 PM   #9

Ali,

Thanks for clarifying your position. I wish you the best of luck.

John