Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Tips & Tricks

Old Nov 17, 2006, 7:42 PM   #1
JTF

The annual leonid meteor show will have a burst of activity this sat evening around 11:45 pm EST in the eastern sky. I own a Panasonic DMC FZ-4 with IS and a built in 12 x lense. What do I need to do totry and capture some pictures of this? How slow does the shutter speed need to be? With the IS do I still need a tripod? I have a timer on it so should this be used etc. etc. Thanks for any help you may be able to give.
JTF is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 17, 2006, 8:50 PM   #2

As you don't know where or when the next meteor is going to be in the sky, to increase your chance of getting one you need to set the lens fairly wide and expose for as long as possible. You need to be taking the picture BEFORE the meteor shows up. You cna't just see one, aim the camera and shoot.
You do need a tripod. Your chance of capturing one without it is pretty slim though if you take enough shots and there are enough meteors it should be possible.
The meteors should hit all over the sky but will all be coming from the same direction. Angle your camera so that they would be going diagonally accross the frame (looks better than horizontal or vertical lines), set the zoom to wide angle and keep taking 30sec exposures. If you get some successes then you could try zooming to get a bigger pick and playing with the exposure settings.
IS won't help on a tripod and the timer is not needed as the base seen is pretty black so any initial camera movement won't show up.
jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2006, 8:55 AM   #3
JTF

jacks wrote:
Quote:
As you don't know where or when the next meteor is going to be in the sky, to increase your chance of getting one you need to set the lens fairly wide and expose for as long as possible. You need to be taking the picture BEFORE the meteor shows up. You cna't just see one, aim the camera and shoot.
You do need a tripod. Your chance of capturing one without it is pretty slim though if you take enough shots and there are enough meteors it should be possible.
The meteors should hit all over the sky but will all be coming from the same direction. Angle your camera so that they would be going diagonally accross the frame (looks better than horizontal or vertical lines), set the zoom to wide angle and keep taking 30sec exposures. If you get some successes then you could try zooming to get a bigger pick and playing with the exposure settings.
IS won't help on a tripod and the timer is not needed as the base seen is pretty black so any initial camera movement won't show up.

Thanks for the info, I'll be out tonight and give it a shot.
JTF is offline   Reply With Quote