Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Tips & Tricks

Old Dec 6, 2006, 12:40 AM   #1

Want to take some pictures of Xmas lights and was wondering on peoples techniques. Does any one have any tricks or tips???

Will be using either Canon 30D or Canon Digital Rebel 350D.

Thanks for any assistance anyone can provide. :roll: :?

TDGM
tdgm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 6, 2006, 7:39 AM   #2

My suggestiion would he to use a tripod with fill flash and expose long enough so the ambient light gives it a natural look. Post an example and there will be many here to help. Good luck. And, most importantly, have fun doing it. Woody
woodysworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2006, 8:14 AM   #3

A tripod is always a good idea, and since you will want to experiment with longish exposure times, esp good for this.

Set up about sunset (or sunrise) and shoot as the ambient light level changes. At some point through that, you will likely find the best mix of ambient and Christmas lights. If you make sure that the clock in your camera is right, and you have a good table of sunset (sunrise) times at your latitude, you should be able to narrow the best time down to (say) 4 minutes after official sunset.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2006, 1:36 AM   #4

BillDrew wrote:
Quote:
A tripod is always a good idea, and since you will want to experiment with longish exposure times, esp good for this.

Set up about sunset (or sunrise) and shoot as the ambient light level changes. At some point through that, you will likely find the best mix of ambient and Christmas lights. If you make sure that the clock in your camera is right, and you have a good table of sunset (sunrise) times at your latitude, you should be able to narrow the best time down to (say) 4 minutes after official sunset.
The voice of experience . . . I have also been taking photos of our Christmas lights at various times of dusk but never even thought about checking what time various ones were taken. Thank you for the tip.
Steve
BrierS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2006, 3:24 PM   #5

set aperture to 'wide open' - always use a tripod or a support (railing, tabletop, etc.)

set iso around 400 - too high will introduce noise/grain

s7000 set on railing;
bernabeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2006, 4:09 PM   #6

If you are shooting from a tripod I would use neither flash nor high ISO. Most Christmas lights give the most accurate color with incandescent or tungsten WB. Custom or auto will be altered a lot by the colors of the lights.

Leave the aperture wide open unless you need more depth of field. Some lighting has depth and you probably want it in focus – artistic latitude there.

Start around 4 seconds, but shoot from probably 1 to 32 seconds depending on the intensity of the lights. Longer if you decide to stop down for DOF. Some will just have lights and others will include some of the structure. Shoot a lot of pictures and decide what you like best on your computer.

The problem with flash is that the foreground will be too bright. Night photos tend to be noisy and I see no reason to boost the ISO. You can use any shutter you want on a tripod.

If you don't have a cable release use the self timer. Most can be set at two seconds so you aren't waiting forever.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2007, 12:33 AM   #7

I actually find with a Fuji S5200 that the flash changes the whole colorayion and look of xMas lights. I try to use the natural light mode when ever possible to shoot the images.
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote