Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Tips & Tricks

Old Apr 28, 2007, 5:43 PM   #1

I would like some people share some tips with me on blurring cars, sports etc..... Share shutter speeds etc.... camera mode Av, Tv or M. And ftips for at night also. thanks everybody..
Imacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 29, 2007, 2:13 AM   #2

to blur the moving car , is to use lower shutter speed( ofcourse it is redumentry stuff ,you know that).But I think "Panning" will be more intersting thing to do. Here the car or any vechile will be in sharp focus, only the backgound will be blurred giving the sense of motion.But panning the car needs lots of practice.It may be frustrating also, but worth doing .
mcliu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2007, 7:48 AM   #3

Panning Motion Blur: use Tv priority, say 1/15th to 1/60th range depending upon how fast the subject is moving and your focal length. Shoot in continuous mode and select the best shot. Use the optical view finder like a rifle sight, its much easier to steadily follow the subject than holding the camera at an arms length to see the LCD. If you have IS, select panning mode to correct for vertical motion, but not horizontal motion.

Night shots: Manually lock the ISO to a low number 80 or 100. I find using the auto exposure is easiest, but setting the Ev somwhere between - 0.6667 and -1.6667, depending upon how bright the scene is (if bright use toward -0.6667, if dark use toward -1.6667). Use a tripod, or rest the camera on a bench or garbage can and use the self-timer to trip the shutter without you touching it. Night shots are sufficiently slow so that anything moving wil be blurred.

Have fun!
reppans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2007, 10:33 AM   #4

Everybody thank you so much for the tips. So appreciated.
Imacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2007, 1:17 PM   #5

For night shot, I like using smaller aperture (larger f-stop number) especially when there are a series of bulb lights like in this picture. It makes them more twinkle just like the stars in the sky.

The slow shutter speed for night shot also makes the car movement looks more interesting. Only the lights from the headlight or rearlight is visible, depending which direction you shot it.
Attached Images

cartiano is offline   Reply With Quote