Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Tips & Tricks

Old Jun 3, 2007, 1:15 PM   #1

Ok heres the idea..

two of my best friends are getting married (wooo!!) they have a professional photographer for the day but they also asked me to be with them and have a go at it as well

what they are looking for, from me is more personal photos of the day.. for example I will be with the bride all morning as she prepairs, in the car as she travels too and with them both after...

So i'm looking for a little inspiration from people with experience.. what kinda shots should I be creating... the "normal" photographer can take care of everthing official.. but i'm guessing for me its lots of closeups of happy people... lots of mother-bride being together shots.. lots of "happy people" in cars as they travel ets...

Ta muchly...
ceecrb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 3, 2007, 3:37 PM   #2

what your looking to shoot are candids and natural shots that normaly dont get caught

just shoot anything and everything, i have done similar at 2 weddings for family, you will find your best shots will prob be of people milling about and chatting while waiting for there turn with the posed for pro shots.

above all relax and enjoy, no pressure on you to produce and you get to just show the best !!! :-)

Gary
Reanimator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2007, 3:38 PM   #3

what your looking to shoot are candids and natural shots that normaly dont get caught

just shoot anything and everything, i have done similar at 2 weddings for family, you will find your best shots will prob be of people milling about and chatting while waiting for there turn with the posed for pro shots.

above all relax and enjoy, no pressure on you to produce and you get to just show the best !!! :-)

Gary
Reanimator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2007, 3:39 PM   #4

Quote:
above all relax and enjoy, no pressure on you to produce and you get to just show the best !!!

Very true I had not thought of it that way...

Old Jun 3, 2007, 3:40 PM   #5

Quote:
above all relax and enjoy, no pressure on you to produce and you get to just show the best !!!

Old Jun 3, 2007, 3:40 PM   #6

Quote:

Old Jun 3, 2007, 3:41 PM   #7

Quote:

Old Jun 3, 2007, 3:42 PM   #8

Quote:

Old Jun 4, 2007, 9:18 PM   #9

I've found candids of the bride putting on make-up in the mirror or helping the flower girl get ready can be quite appealing. One thing you want to avoid at the reception is shots of people, especially the bridal party, while they're eating. Sharing the cake is about as far as you want to go. Trust me, photos of someone chewing are not the most attractive things. I usually include a staged shot of the groom "resisting" while the best man pulls him by the arminto the ceremony with the ushers pushing him from behind. The classic close-up of the bride and groom's crossed hands (best on top of her bouquet) showing off their rings is always a winner.
stowaway7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2007, 9:32 PM   #10

Make sure you take every memopry card and battery or sets of batteries that you have for your camera so you have rnough juice and memory to get through the day. Shoot everything especially all of the bride and grooms friends having fun. Look for things the pro wouldn't cover. You CAN NOT shoot to many image. I find the fast pace of a wedding and reception I can shoot a lot of images and I try to not delete images until after is all over. If I am worried about getting only perfert images and deleting any that aren't on the spot I might loose some priceless moments as a result.

Also if you don;t have enough memory to get you through the day bring a laptop and card reader or a memory card hard disc device. You can upload the stuff while you keep on shooting..... maybe one of your friends will be kind enough to watch over the uploads for you.

Things to shoot (suggestions) bride putting on her garter; bride and brides maid legs (holding or pulling up their skirts or dresses); friends of the wedding party having fun/dancing; grab a shot of the food at the reception; the DJ and people dancing.

Make sure you only use your flash in the church if it is ok with the pro or minister. Some pros will kill yopu if you are flashing off your falsh in their line of light. Also some churches (or ministers) do not allow flash photography. Also stay out of the way of the pro

Most of all have fun and be a little crazy at time. Oh and most of all practice shoot in low liught ahead of time and learn what camera settings you need to use to get the best pictures. I found at a reception with the horrid light and dancing that ISO200 +1EV and a shutter speed of 1/300 was a must.

Good luck and have fun
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote