Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Tips & Tricks

Old Jun 19, 2007, 9:36 AM   #1

Can anyone give me some tips on getting photos of Lightning, would very much appreciate and setting tips , although i realise that conditions can very .

Regards Norfolk Boy
Norfolk Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 20, 2007, 6:26 AM   #2

Well, it's spotty at best. and my success has been limited, but I do have a few nice pics of lightning. First off, my previous camera, Nikon 8800, had a fireworks setting, so things were somewhat easier than with the D80 that I now have. My fireworks setting worked great for lightning, so if you have that preset, use it.

Always setup on a tripod, point your camera towards the lightning, and use your remote (If available) to trigger your shutter. Set your aperture to F16 or higher, and your shutter speed to 3-4 seconds, and your ISO to 100. Of course, these are guesses, and you will probably have to adjust something later. But, don't adjust the shutter speed, as you'll need a 3-4 second exposure, and luck, to capture a nice lightning strike picture. Also, use manual focus, if available, and focus as far in the distanceas possible. And, turn off your flash, you won't need that.

Then, sit back, and press your shutter release (Using the remote) as often as possible. You can;t wait until you SEE lightning, and then trigger your shutter, no one is that fast. You'll get a lot of solid black pictures, but occasionally, you'll get some real nice ones as well. Once you capture a picture with lightning, make adjustments to the aperture setting, or the ISO accordingly, and start pressing the shutter release again. Hope this helps.

Goog luck!
HughesInNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2007, 2:25 PM   #3

spot on advice,id suggest looking at previous images u shot trying to capture the lightning and extend exposure to 10 or 12 seconds ifpossible as itll lessen time between shots when sods law says lightning will flash.

you will never cathc it by pointng and shooting as it happens ur reflexs are not that good LOL

Gary
Reanimator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2007, 2:26 PM   #4

Also what has worked for me to help keep the noise down is to take a picture with the lense cap on then layer this into one of yer pics to minimize noise in post processing:idea:
TD Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2007, 12:24 AM   #5

wagaboo wrote:
Quote:
Also what has worked for me to help keep the noise down is to take a picture with the lense cap on then layer this into one of yer pics to minimize noise in post processing:idea:
That's what's called "dark frame subtraction"; it's a automatic function included on some cameras (Olympus dSLRs for sure, not positive about others).

Norm in Fujino is offline   Reply With Quote