Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Tips & Tricks

Old Aug 7, 2007, 5:19 PM   #1

Hi all.
I hope I have the right area in which to post but can anyone tell me how to stack 3 images . I took 3 pics of myself all in the same area but in different positions but want to stack them and I'm unsure of how, in order to make it look like there are 3 of me. hope I explained this right.
Thanks for any help offered.
Tim

PS.. I have photoshop cs3
TD Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 7, 2007, 6:42 PM   #2

Look up some Photoshop "selection" tutorials. There are hundreds. You cut something out by first selecting it. How you go about that has a lot to do with how cluttered the background is. There are a bunch of selection tools along with an extract tool. I prefer to select.

If you took the pictures standing in front of a solid color or white you can choose the magic wand tool and uncheck "Contiguous". Click on part of the color and it will select the background. Hit the Delete key and you are cut out. A small amount of feathering can make it look less like a cutout when you move it to the other image. Sometimes Select > Color Range works for better.

For cluttered backgrounds I usually use the magnetic lasso and then clean it up with quick mask. Inverse the selection so the background is selected and hit the Delete key.

Once you are cut out you use the move tool and drag yourself into the other photo. If you are too large or small: Edit > Transform > Scale and hold the Shift key while you drag one of the boxes. "Enter" when you are the right size.

It would take pages and a dozen pictures for each selection technique. That's what tutorials are for.

This is an example of using Quick Mask to cut something out: http://www.t-tutorials.com/read-tuto...use-quick-mask

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2007, 7:13 PM   #3

Simply paste each image into a new layer add a layer mask and paint over any area you want the layers below to show through

If you need to alline the images decrease the opacity of the uper layer so you can see through it long enough to make you allinment then return it to 100%
tjsnaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2007, 11:43 PM   #4

Actually its not a matter of a cut and paste that I was looking at it was for stacking a burst of 3 images that are all the same background...gosh I cant explain this properly....lol
Old Aug 8, 2007, 8:12 AM   #5

Look up "Layers" and "Layer Masks" in your manual and tutorials.

You are trying to do much the same thing as stitching a panorama and there are two
basic issues to deal with: alignment of the layers and masking the layers so th bits
you want show through in the final image.

Alignment of the different layers means that it doesn't matter which layer shows the
background since they are the same. By cloning, painting, blurring, ... the background
alignment becomes less important, but it is easier and a better job if the layers are
aligned. If you shot all three from a tripod and didn't move the camera between shots the alignment issue is dealt with.

Using layer masks you can allow the subject (you) from the bottom layer to show
through. This will be much easier if the subject does not overlap itself in different
layers.

Attached Images

BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2007, 12:17 PM   #6

Thank you very much for the help everybody, it's appreciated
I tried it a very simple way... you copy one frame on another one and this will give you 2 layers in photoshop and you erase the part you want to see ..
I just couldnt get the hang of masking although I will someday...lol
Old Aug 8, 2007, 3:24 PM   #7

wagaboo wrote:
Quote:
... I just couldnt get the hang of masking although I will someday...
If you are going to do much of this kind of thing, figuring out masking will be worthwhile. In particular, being able to mask adjustment layers (though that does not address this particular issue.)

I pounded my head on the corner of my desk for a long time before I figured out that layer masks are really very simple.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2007, 4:08 PM   #8

Thanks BD, I still have the dents from trying to figure it out BUT I am determined to learn it though....lol
Old Aug 9, 2007, 6:52 AM   #9

That's a really cool image BD.

Most impressive.

Dal
Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote