Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Tips & Tricks

Old Oct 21, 2007, 8:17 PM   #11

I was just about post asking for some tips on how to shallow out DOF (depth of view) on a small-sensor digicam (mine is Kodak Z712 IS).

I've read about the formulas and theory behind it, but in practical terms on small sensor. Here are some tips:

1. Go into Aperture priority mode (or portrait mode if you don't have it). Lock the aperture to the largest (f/2.8 most likely).

2. Zoom in to about 3x-7x (this effectively increases focal length, and therefore smaller DOF, in one of those formulas that calculates DOF).

3. Set camera to do spot or center focus so it doesn't try to focus on the background (some cameras use multi-zone AF by default)

4. Choose a background that is VERY far compared to the subject.

I've experimented with the zoom variable (locking my Aperture to F/2.8.) I've noticed that around 6x (200mm equiv), I get the best blurred background.

However the zoom may not work on cameras that only have 3-5x optical zoom since the aperture gets small really quick as you zoom in. My Kodak Z712 has a relatively "fast" lens, in that the aperture doesn't close down as quickly as the zoom is increased (f/4.8 at max zoom 432mm equiv).

If anyone has any other tips, I'd be interested in this as well. Surely dSLR owners (with the larger image size & aperture) aren't the only ones who can do portrait photography (post-processing in photoshop not included)
whyzor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2007, 9:10 PM   #12

whyzor wrote:
Quote:
... Surely dSLR owners (with the larger image size & aperture) aren't the only ones who can do portrait photography ...
No. But it is easier with a dSLR than with a P&S. dLSRs have larger image sensors (which give a smaller depth of field) and larger aperture lenses (which give a smaller depth of field).
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote