Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Tips & Tricks

Old Jan 2, 2008, 7:28 PM   #1

I am trying to shoot candle light through various shaped wine glasses. No problems with the lighting just with the bubbles clinging to the sides of the glasses. Any ideas on how to get rid of these minute pests? I need to get the water absolutely transparent.

Thanks!
Old Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 2, 2008, 9:30 PM   #2

Boil it first.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2008, 11:44 PM   #3

Yeah, boiling might drive out any entrained air in the water. My suspicion is that you would want to boil the water, then allow it to cool to just below boiling temperature before placing it in the glass. It might help to thoroughly clean the glass before starting, as impurities might tend to form bubbles.

As an alternate to water you might try adding a portion of rubbing alcohol to the water in various proportions, even up to 100% alcohol. It is as clear as water, but will eventually shrink from its evaporative process.

Post a note when you are done so we can see what you ended up doing, and, in fact, the reason for the whole process anyway.

Old Engineer
Old Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2008, 11:48 PM   #4

I forgot to warn you against letting the candle flames ignite any alcohol used. It could be dangerous. Old Abe Lincoln had to watch his drinking while he was studying the law by candlelight just for that reason. At least that might have been the way it was.

Old Engineer
Old Jan 3, 2008, 5:27 AM   #5

Thank you both,

I will try boiling the water first because as mentioned I do not want to mix the alcohol with flames. However as clean as I thought I had the glasses I may try the alcohol as a cleaning agent. I'm not sure yet which forum but I will post the results Old Engineer.
Old Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2008, 11:07 AM   #6

Last night, when I drew some water with which to take my nightly handful of life and health sustaining pills, I noticed the small bubbles clinging to the inside of my clear glass container. Shaking and bouncing didn't loosen them, but simply putting in a spoon and touching each bubble made it come to the top and disappear.

Old Engineer
Old Jan 3, 2008, 5:08 PM   #7

Old Engineer wrote:
Quote:
I forgot to warn you against letting the candle flames ignite any alcohol used. It could be dangerous. Old Abe Lincoln had to watch his drinking while he was studying the law by candlelight just for that reason. At least that might have been the way it was.

Old Engineer
Hadn't heard the story about Lincoln - he must have been sipping some serious 'shine. It is difficult to ignite booze below about 100 proof (50% alcohol). Booze and fire are not a good mixture, but it isn't often that the source of danger is ignition of the booze. More doing something seriously stupid after drinking the stuff.

The candle itself is a serious fire hazzard. If the wax runs, it can burn as easily using a bit of paper, cloth, or whatever is lying about as a wick. Since I know several people who have started fires using candles, I have banned any candles that are not fully contained from my house.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2008, 11:51 AM   #8

Distilled water is what i was taught at college like you would use to top up your battery on your car with.

Jonathan.
J Richardson is offline   Reply With Quote