Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Tips & Tricks

Old Feb 2, 2008, 10:57 AM   #1

So I am doing a wedding in the spring with my Nikon D50. I have two lenses, a standard 18-55 mm and a 55-200mm nikkor. Does anybody have any advise for someone who expected to take great pictures at a once in a lifetime event? I am not really nervious, but.....

You think these lenses will do me, or should I get another one? A lens Baby perhaps?

Thanks for any advise!

--Josh
..RedNeck Productions Photography..
miniman101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 8, 2008, 4:34 PM   #2

Wow, I guess everyone is dead one here.
Old Feb 8, 2008, 8:27 PM   #3

Ok, you asked for it: Unless it is his third wedding, her second, it is taking place at the courthouse with a recption at the Stinky Pig Saloon, DON'T DO IT.

Since you are going to ignore that advice, one important thing you should get is another camera body - what will you do if your's breaks? You should have two of everything. So more lenses that overlap what you have. Good lenses - the kind that cost more than $700 each.

What kind of lighting are you gong to use? Who do you have to round up Aunt Matilda and to drag Unkle Fred away from the bar? Do you have a list of everyone you need to get a picture of? Do you really think you can please the bride, her mother, the groom's aunt, and the innocent bystander?
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2008, 3:33 PM   #4

i agree with the previous answer. if your having to ask basic questions and are that nervous than mavbe rethinking your decision might be a good idea. i have done a wedding .i knew my equipment well ,had a game plan and had an assistant and it was still the hardest thing i have ever shot. whoevers wedding it is may think getting it done cheap is a great idea untill they see the pictures. if you are going to do it anyway get a lot of practice and do a lot of research to know how and what shots to take.good luck.
camerageak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2008, 11:42 AM   #5

thanks for the advise.
Old Mar 18, 2008, 10:39 PM   #6

Frpm personal experience of being begged and doing 3 family weddings...... some of my most nervous weeks of my life -- hay the wedding doewsn't end when the brude and groom go off to the hotel. You still got to save and edit and deliver all the photos. Think of all those extra long hours and editing and trying to get the lighting fixed after the fact your get into

I you not a professional wedding photographer be honest and let them know

2.) if your nervous then either you need to find a way to get over that or don't do the weddong because if your nervous you will loose consentartion etc and loose picture ops. I've been there and its not good.

3.) well if you ignore all the advice in my post and the above ones by others... get a back up camera, tons of batteries (or extra battery packs) and more memory cards than you think you could ever fill. What are you gonna do if (ok really when) the camera's memory card fills up and the once in a lifetime kiss shot comes up. You won't have time to change your mrmory card that is one reason to have the extra body.....

4.) Shoot at highest resolution with the least amount of compression such as 9MP fine setting

5.) Only shoot in RAW if you know how to process the files. I'll admit it I can't figure out why they look so bad compared to my highest quality jpegs and I can't for the life of me figure out to edit them andmake them look goodwithout making them jpegs and editing that way...... then the files aren't as good and won't print as large..... Know your limations and be honest, don't do somethingyou can't understand or work with.

I just did a wedding this past weekend for a cousin of mine who begged me to do it. She knows I am not a pro wedding photographer although I am very skilled at doing fire and rescue type stuff.

I had 24GB of memory and a wolverine 60GB device with me. Shooting at jpeg9MP fine I ended up handing off my 16GB card to an uncle to upload to my wolverine and give it back to me to reuse. In between the wedding and reception we had a 25 minute drive between places so that is when I was able to erase the card and get it ready to reuse it. Without that downtime I wouldn't have had enough memory or time to get the card ready to reuse. Thats where the second body would be helpful because well the card was erasing I could keep shooting with my other camera. I ended up taking just under2,000 in one day.

Also the lighting at most weddings that are indoors is very poor so you'll need a hotshoe flash and good lenses 1.8, 2.8 f/s ratings. Also if it is outside look out for sunspots in the photos, make suree you got a good lense hood and move around to get out of the directsun reflection.

I was using the Fuji S-9100 and I ended up using a sunpack 383 hot shoe flash and for indoor shots ISO had to be 400 to get good shots under the poor lights. I had 6 sets of 2700 --> 2900mha batteries and I used every set I had luckily I didn't deplet the last set... the flash which I had to use a lot used the most sets of batteries.......

Also if you still want to do the wedding take as MANY photos as you can to make sure youget a few keepers for the bride.

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2008, 11:39 PM   #7

I have just one little piece of wisdom to bestow... 'advice' is spelled with a 'c', not an 's'.
David French is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2008, 9:57 AM   #8
Administrator

Photo 5 wrote:
Quote:
5.) Only shoot in RAW if you know how to process the files. I'll admit it I can't figure out why they look so bad compared to my highest quality jpegs and I can't for the life of me figure out to edit them andmake them look goodwithout making them jpegs and editing that way...... then the files aren't as good and won't print as large.....
Try a different raw convertor. Some work better than others on a specific camera's raw files.

Have you tried Raw Therapee yet? It's free and should work with your Fuji.

http://www.rawtherapee.com/

You may want to give UFRaw a try, too (also free):

http://ufraw.sourceforge.net/

I'd also give LightZone a spin (not free, unless you're running Linux). They have a trial version you can download:

http://www.lightcrafts.com

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2008, 9:33 PM   #9

Hey Jim C. the first raw convertor you suggested did the trick on some test shoots I took today. Looks like the standard raw concertor that Fuji gave me on CD with the camera isn't very good. I had already downloaded after you first suggested it to me to rescue some images a few weeks ago and forgot about it.

THANKS YOUR THE GO TO MAN

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2008, 3:46 PM   #10

Thanks Photo 5!! That is all great advice. I am not really neuvious, but I am worried about not getting good clear shots. I don't have the greatest eyes, but I am sure I will do fine. Thanks.