Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Tips & Tricks

Old Oct 21, 2008, 9:15 PM   #1

This is something I have been wanting to find a solution for quite some time. I own a Canon sd400, Nikon s10, Sony T77. I want to know how to safely remove the branding/ logo/ badging that are physically on the cameras without damaging the exterior surface.

Typically there are two types of badges. The first is the type that seems like it is a sticker or heat pressed on totally flat, very similar to the type that phone carriers use to brand their phones. The other one are the ones that has been grown popular within digicams makers in recent years. They seem to usually have a metallic texture, shiny, and the material is not flat, the branding / letters are raised from the surface of which it bonds to.

I have always been a fan of de-badging, I love the sleek clean look. I am mostly concerned about the raised / shiny branding. If anyone can help or know of a place I can learn about this, I'd be in debt.
enzyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 21, 2008, 9:39 PM   #2

I don't really know of any good way to remove the badging without marring the camera permanently. Why not just cover it with black electrical tape.or black it out with Magic Marker?

Another solution may be to use the neoprene camera skins, sold by many of the major camera retailers.

I have a 12,000 RPM side grinder that would do the job quick, but don't know if my hand is steady enough. Got a dozen or so cameras I can practice on?

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2008, 9:44 PM   #3

The tape solution is a no go. The big idea behind the whole deal is to make the camera look sleek and clean. The tape would be just as bad as the badges. I guess I'll try find a cam on ebay for a couple bucks and try it out.
enzyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2008, 12:47 AM   #4

enzyme wrote:
Quote:
The tape solution is a no go. The big idea behind the whole deal is to make the camera look sleek and clean. The tape would be just as bad as the badges. I guess I'll try find a cam on ebay for a couple bucks and try it out.
Ive been doing this for a long time. the sticker thing can be removed very easily the embossed thing can be removed by grinding. but you have to be very carefull. if the body is metal it is very thin if you try to grind it thoroughly you will very likely find a hole in the body. not matter how steady your hand is the place where you have removed the band is always visible. it is better to finish this area with a filler and give it a nice finish with something abstract which will look like it has been purposefully done.

good luck
ntstatic is offline   Reply With Quote