Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Tips & Tricks

Old Mar 22, 2009, 7:11 PM   #1

i am doing an outdoor wedding in july. any tips for lighting and shot suggestions would be appreciated. thanks
camerageak is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 22, 2009, 7:42 PM   #2

Outdoor lighting can be very harsh and difficult to deal with. Have an assistant who can place a reflector to reduce some of the harsh shadows. Try to get your shots earlier or later in the day - noontime sun is the worst. White dresses and black tuxes combined with summer sunshine make for lost highights and shadows.

For the important shots of B&G, take them where you can have more control of the light. If possible, get all the wedding party pics under controlled lighting, and you won't have to worry so much about the outdoor shots.

Of course, if your'e lucky, it will rain.:evil:

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2009, 4:44 PM   #3

Not sure what your level of skill is.

If your a fairly basic "point and shoot" type photographer, then I'd advise that you use your flash (yes, even during the day!!!) to illuminate your subjects.

Generally flash will fill in shadows and "pull" your subject out of the background.

As for types of shots, you can mix both "posed" and "candid" shots. Don't be afraid to ask the bride to pose for a shot with her mother, or the groom with his father,

Maybe write down a list of shots that the bride and groom will want you to take on the day.

Candid shots like the grooms best friends "horsing around" are always okay, or the flower girls sticking out their tongues. Have a bit of fun with those.

Other than that, have fun!
terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2009, 9:02 PM   #4

camerageak wrote:
Quote:
i am doing an outdoor wedding in july. any tips for lighting and shot suggestions would be appreciated. thanks
Not to put to fine an edge one it, if you have to ask that question here you are likely to have more problems than just outdoor lighting. So I'd suggest looking at a bunch of books dealing with wedding photography and practice a lot before then. Try to get a bunch of folks together for a formal picture: at a saloon, nursing home, football game, ... Think about how your are going to get Uncle Fred and Aunt Matilda into a photo when they haven't talked to each other for 27 years.

Do you have backup? Extra camera? Extra flash unit? More lenses?

Who is going to help you?

And on and on and on and ...

Practice, practice, practice, and then practice some more.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2009, 8:51 AM   #5
Super Moderator

Looking back through your threads and seems you've done a few weddings. It would probably help to see some of your results and for you to explain the areas that you have struggled/photos that you would like to improve when doing again.

Is this paid work, have you got more than the single body you used previously?
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2009, 4:43 PM   #6

i quess i didn't ask it right. i have done a few weddings and outdoor events so i know what i am doing i was just wanting to know if anybody had any shot suggestions for an outdoor wedding. i have the standard list of shot ideas and some others i like to do i just wanted to pick the brains of people on this site for some unusual shot ideas i haven't thought of.
Old Mar 27, 2009, 5:33 PM   #7
Super Moderator

Without knowing your list I can't tell if there are any good ideas you miss. I personally find photographers I like and check out their work and see how I can work them into my day. I'm not a fan of posed shots at all, but in the UK people still want them so I have to do them but I would rather shoot candids.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2009, 9:25 PM   #8

Mark don't feel too bad I like shooting candide myself and shooting in the jouneralistic mode (shooting fast and as much as possible to make sure I go home with the winning shots that would make the front page of a paper) but many brides in the US also want a lot of posed shots before the wedding. The last wedding I did by a guy who bagged me to do it his bride gave me a list of 60 shots to do before the wedding even started and they all required people in them.

One tip I can offer as for shots to get is that you can NEVER shoot too much at a wedding. Shoot anything and everything. get as many of the little details as possible. Arrive too early and shoot shots of the church inside and outside, the bride and the groom arriving. Depending on how they feel and how you approch them also try to get them getting dressed (bride putting on garter and her shoes, her dress on a hanger) and the grooms party putting on their ties etc).

I guess it goes without saying have backup batteries and memory cards available.

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2009, 6:38 PM   #9

i do all the standard shots with family and friends and i do all the little detail shots . i shoot from the time i walk in the door till they throw me out so i get a lot of candid shots. i have done a lot of research and try to make each wedding unique. i was just looking for some shot ideas that maybe i haven't seen or thought of and what better place to borrow ideas than from the great photographers on this sight. Mark to answer your question i now use a canon 50d and xsi as my backup . i use a 17-55 2.8 and a 24-105 f4 ,i have backup flashes, memory cards,batteries ect, i also use assistants to help with equipment and making sure uncle joe is smiling and has his teeth in when i take a group shot. no matter how much i think i know i am always looking to improve and learn. there are no do overs so i think anybody who shoots a wedding owes the bride and groom that much.i very much appreciate this site. i have learned a great deal from it and have found people more than willing to help.
Old Mar 28, 2009, 7:52 PM   #10

Glad you can use assistants I don't have the luxurary of doing that due to cost so I am a one man show and at the time of the last wedding onky had a Fuji S9100 and a weatherproof olympus as a backup. So your in much better shap them I was in. Now I have a Sony A200 and the Fuji as a backup although ts not in the camera bag where the rest of my gear is.

Two shots at the last wedding that the bride liked were

1.) having all the grooms men pick up the bride and hold her horizontally above their waist level. I ended up putting the brides head to the roght side of the frame, feet to the left and spaced the guys out so that the 6 guys on the end (groom in middle) were supporting her head and shoes/feet. Also I did one were they got closer together and her head was able to raise up a little more and turn more towards the camera.

2.) as cheesy as it may sound I got all her brides maids and her to lift up their skirts and show off her legs. She told me that pictures makes her laugh when she looks back at as they must all be dunker than _____ to do that.......... Gives her something to laugh at with in all the formals I had to take that day.

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote