Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Tips & Tricks

Old Aug 11, 2009, 2:17 AM   #1

Default Help with Action Shots?

Hi everyone!

I just recently got a Canon 50D. It is a fast camera, but almost all of my action shots of my dogs are out of focus. I've tried using both the manual setting and the action setting. I'm using an 85mm 1.8 lens, and I usually shoot with the aperture at 1.8-2, with a fast shutter speed. Speed is not the issue, it's the auto focus which always seems off. Sometimes it's partially out of focus. (his body will be in focus but not his face). I feel like I got more focused action shots with my old canon rebel xti. I am taking my dog to the beach soon...any tips on getting good, clear action shots?

Last edited by luvallpups; Aug 11, 2009 at 2:19 AM.
luvallpups is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 11, 2009, 3:15 AM   #2

I think a look at:
Depth of Field Calculator
could help you.
As focal length you should write: 85 mm
As you can see easily the dof is really shoort.
For example if you should take a picture at:
16.4042 ft
f/1.8
You have only 0.75 ft of total Dof.

When using AF you could understand if your lens are problem on back/front focus with some test on tripod and you could correct similar problem on Canon 50d.

I hope this help you.

Bye.
alexfoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2009, 3:22 AM   #3
Super Moderator

Are you on centre point AF or multi point? If it is the latter that probably isn't helping the situation. As suggested is the lens focusing correctly on a stationary subject?

How close is your dog when you are trying to take the photos? The 85mm has only a usable range of about 25ft so if you are trying to use it outside of this then the focus is no where near as accurate.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2009, 12:23 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1616 View Post
Are you on centre point AF or multi point? If it is the latter that probably isn't helping the situation. As suggested is the lens focusing correctly on a stationary subject?

How close is your dog when you are trying to take the photos? The 85mm has only a usable range of about 25ft so if you are trying to use it outside of this then the focus is no where near as accurate.
Thank you both for your replies so far.

I am still getting the hang of this camera...do you know how I can check if its on centre point AF or multi point? and how to change it? I'm not 100% sure which one it is on, though I would guess its on multi point. My dog is always moving but usually about 10-15 feet away. Also, it does focus correctly on a stationary subject.
Old Aug 11, 2009, 3:37 PM   #5
Super Moderator

If you look at the back of the camera it is the top right button which has the 5 points in the box which represent then AF points. Press this then you can use the dial to move around the different points of if set right the joystick. If you are using sports mode I'm not sure if you can tell the camera to only use centre point or not so possibly you need to move past this too.
Old Aug 12, 2009, 9:06 PM   #6

Thanks so much Mark!!! I tried it out and it helps! Here are before and after shots!!

The first one is BEFORE (Multi point) and 2nd one is AFTER (center point)
Attached Images

Old Aug 13, 2009, 3:15 AM   #7
Super Moderator

That's great, it is a huge difference and very rarely do I use multipoint, I do however sometimes change which AF point I use but not all are as accurate as the centre one.

The last shot is lovely!!
Old Aug 19, 2009, 4:36 PM   #8

Thanks for the info. I just purchased a Rebel XT to step up from my Rebel 35 MM. I also will primarily be taking pictures of our dogs ( flat Coats...They look like black golden retrievers) Most shots will be of them hunting or competing in hunt tests so being able to focus on them while they are running flat out was my biggest concern. I'll try to post some pictures once I get the hang of the new camera.
redseal is offline   Reply With Quote