Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Tips & Tricks

Old Nov 19, 2003, 11:40 PM   #1

Default Auto ISO on dSLR's

It's not a new idea, most consumer digicams have this option, but on a dSLR with higher ISO range this becomes more useful. It comes in handy if you are shooting a sporting event and want to always freeze the action at a specific shutter speed and aperture opening. Just adding my two cents worth
marokero is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 20, 2003, 12:39 AM   #2

You could go one further. If it knew the 1/f-stop rule, it could dial down the ISO automatically when you're way beyond this guideline.

I got burnt one morning.... I went out at sunrise and had to push the iso way up... 800? 1600? I don't recall. Then on the way home, I came upon a broadwing hawk, sitting in a tree by the side of the road. Great bird, really close. Took a dozen pictures, including him taking off from the branch... but I forgot to dial down the ISO (the sun was up and it was nice by then!!!) So I got some nice pictures with loads of NOISE!!!! DAMN!!!! This feature would have saved me.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2003, 2:40 AM   #3

Ouch, that $ucks! ops: Happens to all of us :P I was once doing a casual photoshoot of a client, had been shooting ISO 1600 for available lighting, then turned the flash back on and forgot to change the ISO back to 400. From a distance the images looked "okay" but at 100% there was loads of noise
marokero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2003, 6:14 AM   #4

I realize my digital isn't a dSLR, but I love the fact it has a "custom reset"...every time I power up the camera it starts at the same settings (I preprogrammed) every time...that way I'm starting from the same starting point every time. For instance, ISO100, F8, 1/60th, 50mm zoom position, etc. Of course if I'm shooting a lot at the same settings I can disable that feature so it goes to my last used setting or just let the camera go to sleep between pictures.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2003, 9:34 AM   #5

I've wished for that feature as well. Every time, before I went out I'd just press that button. It wouldn't solve every situation for those mistakes, but it certainly would prevent some of them (like if I was out at sunset the previous weekend (ISO 800 or so) and then the next weekend went out in the afternoon.

It would be so easy to just press the button and not worry about such thing. That is why I wish it would display the ISO in the view finder on the 10D. I don't know where they'd put it, but it would be nice. Only useful to prevent mistakes, but still... that is a good thing too.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2003, 6:53 AM   #6

After I made that mistake I made it a habit of hitting the 'info' button after 1' shot at 10D.
Still one can go awfull wrong. A firmware upgrade resets all settings. I thought I changed them all back to my liking, but forgot the autosleep setting...When I stumbled upon a crazy situation were Rod Stuart passed by a crowd of football fans I missed the best shots, because of this 1 minute go to sleep setting :-(
(I rather have an empty battery at the end of the day, than an empty CF card ;-)
Mathilde uP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2003, 9:26 AM   #7
NHL

Well on the Canon... only the processing parameters can be assigned to 3 different sets, but if I recalled correctly on my Nikon CP990 and the Minolta D7/i/Hi one can assign all the camera's parameter settings for up to three different users (or 3 shooting situations) which can be quickly recalled.

This can easily be incorporated with a firmware change if the manufacturers decide to. Let's all demand it!
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote