Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Tips & Tricks

Old Nov 20, 2003, 2:08 PM   #1

Default How to take screen shots of HDTV

I'm a first-time poster and did a search on all keywords I could think of but came up empty. I am looking for tips on taking quality shots of images on my HDTV (Sony KP-46WT500) using an Olympus D-40Z, 4.0 mpxl. I have tried numerous settings and keeping getting bands of green and other artifacts that ruin the true quality of HDTV images. I am sure there is a way but Google has not been helpful and I respect the ideas of those who post here. Thanks in advance for any help.

Bob
ridgefam is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 20, 2003, 2:40 PM   #2

The thing you need to do is know the scan rate of HDTV...regular TV it's 30 frames a second so you'd set your camera to that...you'd have to find out what the scan rate of your HDTV is (may differ depending on where you are in the world). A tripod is recommended.

Don't expect the results you see in flyers...they are faked.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2004, 10:18 PM   #3

Default must shoot slower than 1/30. Recommended is 1/15 second

this is so that you don't capture the scan line
jfricks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2004, 11:47 AM   #4

I think HDTV is 30 frames/sec, the same as conventional TV. Consequently, your shutter speed must be 1/30th of a second to capture one full frame. Any faster and you'll cut part of the frame off. Any slower and you will capture more than one frame possibly making the image less clear.
calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2004, 3:37 PM   #5
NHL

HDTV has the same scan rate as standard TV and is based on the line frequency 60Hz in the States (and Japan), and 50Hz elsewhere in the world.

For interlace, you need two fields in a frame so for 1080i, and 480i, 1/30s (2*1/60) is the right number in the States; However for 720p (ie progressive) you can capture the whole frame in 1/60s !
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2004, 10:49 AM   #6

Can't really see that the camera is going to do a better job than finding a video capture card. Just because the camera might shoot HD equivalent res. through its lens and the TV can display HD from an electronic input, doesn't mean when you point the camera at the TV glass tube face you will get a quality HD pic on a file, to display on your SVGA PC monitor or print out. Both the camera and TV are using electronic sampling and scanning - so plenty of room for interference! The colour mask on your TV will be a lot coarser than your printer or PC monitor. HD on consumer TV's makes compromises, because it's assumed you are viewing at least 3H distance away. VOX
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2004, 4:19 PM   #7

Just make sure you use your flash.
doug4117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2004, 8:34 AM   #8

Doug4117 - That's Mean!!! Ha Ha. :lol:
bsdunek is offline   Reply With Quote