Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Tips & Tricks

Old Apr 6, 2010, 8:09 PM   #1

Default getting the focus right

this may be one of those "it just is tough..." type of questions but I am hoping that there are at least some tricks i can try.
Anyway, my main subject these days is my 3-year old daughter. Naturally, 3-year olds don't stop and pose for a picture, so a lot of times it is trial and error in terms of catching her in the right moment. One thing I am noticing is that the AF more often then not focuses on parts of her that are not necessarily important (dress vs face for example). So while i try to release the shutter button and refocus, most of the time the moment is gone. Trying to switch quick to manual focus point selection also takes too long.
SO my question is: is there anything a person can do to increase the chance of the AF hitting the right spot, so to say?
Thx
ronin2307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 6, 2010, 8:25 PM   #2

Try selecting center autofocus point only. Cameras vary on where in the menus or dials this is done, so check your manual. This way, it will only focus where you are pointing.
Trying to get shots of the little ones can take some patience, definitely. If possible, use a shorter focal length, and smaller aperture, so you will have enough depth of field if the focus misses slightly.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2010, 8:36 PM   #3

sounds reasonable. thx for the tip
ronin2307 is offline   Reply With Quote