Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Tips & Tricks

Old May 14, 2010, 10:23 AM   #1

Default Somewhat specific and very important question for a shot:

Hi all, as I've said countless (or maybe about 15) times on these boards, I'm totally new to photography (just bought all my equipment over the last two months), and so I've been trying to ween myself into the manual mode through aperture priority. Anyway, I've got a trip to Ireland with my girlfriend coming up next week, and I have a pretty specific and super important moment I'd like to capture, and I wanted to ask your advice for setup/camera settings for it.

Here's the equipment I have to work with:

Canon T2i/550d
Canon 18-55mm is
Canon 50mm 1.8 is
Tokina 11-16mm 2.8
Slik Sprint Pro II Tripod
Remote (wired) shutter release

And here's the scenario: We'll be going to the Cliffs of Moher during one leg of our trip. While we're there, I would like to set up the camera somewhere the horizon/Atlantic ocean, as well as a good chunk of the cliff scenery are in view (could be at an angle on one of the curvy parts, maybe?). Then as the camera's counting down for the picture, I plan to drop to one knee and propose, hopefully timed perfectly so that a burst of photos catches her reaction.

I'm thinking the Tokina will be the best lens for this, given the wide angle (maybe setting it up just a few feet away for a better foreground), but I'm not entirely sure what settings (aperture, shutter speed, etc.) I should have the camera on for the best possible outcome. Now the caveat here is I'm not positive what time of day we'll be down by the cliffside, though I think it would be during daylight hours with enough sunlight that it won't be too dark for a quick capture, but maybe some suggestions for both afternoon and twilight shots would be helpful, cause I imagine they would be totally different.

Anyway, I'm open to all suggestions for the equipment I have, and wholly appreciate any comments. Also, you guys should feel special, because you're the only people outside of my family jeweler that even knows about this!
cjp87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 14, 2010, 11:04 AM   #2

With the Tokina 11-16, unless you're pretty close, and therefore, blocking most of the scenery, you both will be pretty small in the frame, so her reaction will be hard to see. I'd go with the 18-55 and keep the frame loose around her (and where you'll be) so she'll be a significant part of the composition. Also, keep the sun to the rear of the camera so you and your girlfriend will be well illuminated, and for that shot, leave the acamera on AUTO mode.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2010, 11:12 AM   #3
Super Moderator

Let me say this first regarding your first paragraph specifically weening yourself into manual mode. There is a misconception that you should be using M mode all the time if you are an experienced photographer, that is just not true at all. Only use M mode if you need to, otherwise aperture priority for general shooting is great, i shoot in it about 95% of the time, you control the depth of field, then pick iso that lets you keep your shutter speeds what you want. and use the exposure comp as needed. i use m-mode when the situation warrants it, but there is absolutely zero need to use it all the time.

anyways, about your situation. i am not sure that i would use the ultrawide if you want shots of you proposing to your gf, ultrawides tend to render people in an unflattering way because of the perspective distortion. unless you want that kind of look. i think you could probably get plenty of the scene in view using the kit lens at around 20mm or so without all of the distortion.

if you find yourself near sunset or whatever. i would meter for the ambient scene, or the scene you want to capture first and lock that exposure in (here is a reason to shoot m-mode). then pop your flash (make sure you are within flash range if you only have pop-up) to illuminate you and your gf.

using a timer will be very difficult, and you will not be able to get a succession of shots. you may consider purchasing a wireless shutter release. something like this is actually a nice option and not expensive

Opteka Wireless Radio Remote

it is more functional than the IR remotes because it allows for full camera operation such as half-press autofocus and has a longer range and does not require line of sight.

if this shot is important to you, i would think about getting this, and just triggering it with your hand in your pocket or something discreet like that.
Old May 14, 2010, 11:59 AM   #4

OK - here's my advice. Don't let your hobby interfere with the most important moment in your girlfriend's life. Make the moment about HER, not about a photograph. Take photos of the area but don't try to time the moment so it's captured on film. I don't know your girlfriend obviously. But I think some women would be a bit put off that you're trying to tie your new found hobby in to such a personal moment. Just something to think about.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2010, 12:06 PM   #5
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
OK - here's my advice. Don't let your hobby interfere with the most important moment in your girlfriend's life. Make the moment about HER, not about a photograph. Take photos of the area but don't try to time the moment so it's captured on film. I don't know your girlfriend obviously. But I think some women would be a bit put off that you're trying to tie your new found hobby in to such a personal moment. Just something to think about.

that is probably the best advice yet
Old May 14, 2010, 12:10 PM   #6

Yeah, the goal wasn't really to make it part of the hobby, my line of thinking was that I have all this nice equipment, why not use it to capture the moment if possible? Plus I think it would be a good distractor (setting up everything just so we can get a nice picture), making it that much more of a surprise. But I agree, the picture should not be the focus of the moment, which is why I wanted to be able to set the camera up and let it take the picture so I could concentrate on everything else. I want to do my best to have the camera be more of a silent bystander while the real show takes place. But if it looks to be too much of a nuisance or distraction from the moment at hand, of course I would scrap the idea altogether.

Thanks for the advice, all, I didn't even think about the Tokina not doing well with faces. Hards, I won't have time to order that remote (we leave Monday), but it's something to think about for the future.
cjp87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2010, 10:30 PM   #7

My advice would be to buy me a plane ticket, and I'll take the picture(s) for you, so you don't have to try to do two things at once. (bad idea-multitasking)

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2010, 6:28 PM   #8

Dear cjp87,
I thought ur post was very interestig but I'm more interested in knowing if u took the photo? how did it go? which lens did u use and what settings?
Current Gear: Canon 7D+BG-E7 Battery Grip & 60D with EF 24-105 f/4 L IS; EF 70-200 f/2.8 L IS II; EF 100-400 f/4.5-5.6 L IS; EF 100 f2.8 L IS; EF 50 f/1.8 II; Canon Speedlite 430 EX II; Metz 58 AF-1; Canon RC-5 Wireless Remote Controller & RS-80N3 Remote Switch; Manfrotto 190CX PRO4 with Manfrotto 322RC2 Grip Ball Head; Kenko Extension Tube Set; B+W UV & Polorizing filters
rienz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2010, 4:50 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rienz View Post
Dear cjp87,
I thought ur post was very interestig but I'm more interested in knowing if u took the photo? how did it go? which lens did u use and what settings?
here is the thread:

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/ph...-question.html
Old Jun 28, 2010, 3:28 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewheeler20 View Post
Thank you
Current Gear: Canon 7D+BG-E7 Battery Grip & 60D with EF 24-105 f/4 L IS; EF 70-200 f/2.8 L IS II; EF 100-400 f/4.5-5.6 L IS; EF 100 f2.8 L IS; EF 50 f/1.8 II; Canon Speedlite 430 EX II; Metz 58 AF-1; Canon RC-5 Wireless Remote Controller & RS-80N3 Remote Switch; Manfrotto 190CX PRO4 with Manfrotto 322RC2 Grip Ball Head; Kenko Extension Tube Set; B+W UV & Polorizing filters
rienz is offline   Reply With Quote