Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Tips & Tricks

Old Mar 30, 2004, 10:23 AM   #11

no one noticed for several days... :-(
kieranmullen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2004, 11:49 PM   #12

I just noticed the new posts to this thread. Glad to see I wasn't the only one wondering about this topic. I gotta say the above pic is pretty impressive!
Shrubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2004, 5:12 PM   #13

Quote:
I gotta say the above pic is pretty impressive
Ditto!

This is exactly what I was looking for ... an example with the exif data posted. Did you have an external flash set up to the right of the camera? I'm not familiar with Canons and not sure if I'm reading the exif right. Also, did you use a tripod?

Post more, if you got 'em ... even if they're not as good. We can all learn from the bad one's too

Thanks.
beggersrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2004, 11:36 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by beggersrun
Quote:
I gotta say the above pic is pretty impressive
Ditto!

This is exactly what I was looking for ... an example with the exif data posted. Did you have an external flash set up to the right of the camera? I'm not familiar with Canons and not sure if I'm reading the exif right. Also, did you use a tripod?

Post more, if you got 'em ... even if they're not as good. We can all learn from the bad one's too

Thanks.
Thx Beggersrun

I'm posting 2 more pics

1/50s and 1/60s
F 5 and 5.6
flash on fsinger 3
both iso 400

They were shot without tripod, with the (not-recommended) onboard flash
(and..I was kinda drunk, it was st. patty's celebration)
Now I have a Canon 420Ex so I'll make new shots using it

1/50s
F 5
iso 400
no flash

1/60s
F 5.6
iso 400
flash
Majestic Twelve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2004, 11:13 PM   #15

Default This Is Right On Time For Me

Tomorrow I am heading to the Cape May (NJ) Jazz Festival, and plan to try some available light shots at the various venues. I will use my Nikon D-100, and a Nikon f2.8 80 -200 zoom (Actual focal length will be 120 -300 adjusted). If I am closer, I'll use a shorter lens. I don't think they will allow flash. I will use a monopod too.

I will play with the ISO, and it looks like I need to use the lowest that will give work.

If anything works, I'll post next week.
The ElderBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2004, 9:55 PM   #16

Well, here is one I took of Freddie Cole (Nat King Cole's brother) performing at the Cape May Jazz festival.

The lighting was too dark not to use flash, but it seemed to be OK.

Open for comments, criticism, helpful tips etc.

The Freddie Cole shot - Nikon D-100 w/ built-in- flash, Nikon 80-200 f2.8 at 200 mm 1/180 at f2.8 spot meter ISO 800

The Ahmad Jamal shot (different venue) - Nikon D-100 no flash, Nikon 80-200 f2.8 at 200 mm 1/200 at f2.8 spot meter ISO 6400 (hand held)

http://www.bell-co.com/festival/
The ElderBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2004, 7:22 PM   #17

Hey MT,

Your pics looked great. Can I ask what camera you use? I have a Canon S400 that doesn't perform too well in low-light conditions--and most of my picture taking seems to be in those conditions (read: in bars!). I am looking at the Casio Exilim P600 (Steve has a review of it on this site). I want a trade-off between size and performance, because if I were to buy an SLR (which would undoubtedly be able to take some decent low-light pics), I'd never bring it with me cuz it'd be so huge! The Exilim seems like a pretty good compromise... Wondering what your thoughts are on that... By the way, here are the specs on the camera : http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_reviews/exp600.html

Hope you can take a coupla minutes to help me out! I'd love to be able to shoot great pics like the one you posted up. By the way, was this in Argentina? Looks like fun!
olaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2004, 7:52 AM   #18
Administrator

olaf wrote:
Quote:
Hey MT,

Your pics looked great. Can I ask what camera you use? I have a Canon S400 that doesn't perform too well in low-light conditions--and most of my picture taking seems to be in those conditions (read: in bars!). I am looking at the Casio Exilim P600 (Steve has a review of it on this site). I want a trade-off between size and performance, because if I were to buy an SLR (which would undoubtedly be able to take some decent low-light pics), I'd never bring it with me cuz it'd be so huge! The Exilim seems like a pretty good compromise... Wondering what your thoughts are on that... By the way, here are the specs on the camera : http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_reviews/exp600.html

Hope you can take a coupla minutes to help me out! I'd love to be able to shoot great pics like the one you posted up. By the way, was this in Argentina? Looks like fun!
Olaf:

He took the shots with a Canon Digital Rebel at ISO 400. The nicest one was using flash (so he would have been relatively close).

As far as the Casio, I think your S400 would actually be a better performer in low light. Your Canon S400has a 4MP 1/1.8" CCD, and the Casio uses a 6MP 1/1.8" CCD. So, the photosites for each pixel are larger in your S400, compared to the Casio. As a result, they can gather more light, and would not have as much noise at higher ISO speeds. The Canon models are also slightly more sensitive than their rated ISO speed.

The Casio's lens is a little brighter towards the zoom end; but the increased noise it would have would make it worse overall IMO.

The CCD in your Canon model is about as good as it gets for higher ISO speeds in more current models, without going to a DSLR. The Sensor in the Canon Digital Rebel that he used is dramatically larger than the CCD's you find in non-DSLR models, so it's very clean at ISO 400.

If a DSLR is outside of your budget, you could go to a model with a brighter lens using the same CCD you have. An example would be the Canon G3. It's lens is rated at f/2.0-3.0. So, it's twice as bright at wide angle compared to your S400; with even more difference using zoom. These are getting hard to find, since it was replaced by the newer G5 (which is being replaced by the G6).

Try setting your ISO Speed to 400 in lower light. Then use tools to clean up the noise. Here are a few:

Neat Image: http://www.neatimage.com

Noise Ninja: http://www.picturecode.com

Noiseware: http://www.imagenomic.com

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2004, 7:48 PM   #19

Heres 1 I took at butlins camp over the weekend .Hand held no flash.

Camera was a 10D sigma 28~200 from about 25~30 meters away had to bump the iso up to 1600 but i got me a pic..

tommy6206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2004, 2:09 PM   #20

Nice shot. Did you use any post editing or noise reduction tools?
Mealers is offline   Reply With Quote