Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Tips & Tricks

Old Feb 3, 2004, 12:31 PM   #1

Default Gave my old camera a new life!

I have a old nikon coolpix 885 with over 100,000 photos on it. After about 75000 it had so many hot pixels that it started to look like a old IBM punch card! I was going to put in the trash can but i stoped and said why not try this.I changed the mode to black/white.95% of the hot spots where color red green and so on.Now they are not there and the white ones are mostly on the edge. I think this is a great way to reuse an old camera and i love balck and white anyway.Great for landscape and some macro work.Tealblue
tealblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 3, 2004, 1:35 PM   #2

That is a great idea.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2004, 2:59 PM   #3

To Phil Gibson: Thank you very much.Iam sure the camera makers wont like it to much.LOL Tealblue
Old Mar 11, 2004, 11:12 AM   #4

Default hot pixels on 885

I had the same problem on my 885. I took the camera to my Nikon repair centre in Vancouver, and they looked at it immediately, and removed all the hot pixels. Hot pixels can be removed by a technical process. They also did firmware updates for me. All this was done in less than an hour, and they didn't charge me a cent for it!!! Kudo's to Nikon Canada!!! They gave me great service. Perhaps it is better if a customer can go directly to the manufacturer when dealing with these problems. So you can get this hot pixel problem fixed if needed, and it shouldn't cost an arm and leg to do so.
thekman620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2004, 12:35 PM   #5

Good for you!! Iam glad nikon was able to help you out for free. They wanted $250.00 to fix my 885. But with over 100,000 pixs on it i felt it was not worth it. I now have a great little camera for B/W work. Tealblue
Old Mar 11, 2004, 1:39 PM   #6

Hi Tealblue.

Do you realize, that you have shot more than 3.5 images each hour - 24 hours a day - all year around ( or 84 images each day for the last 1195days) - since the camera was acutally released on the 9th of january 2001.

GOOD WORK! :lol: :lol: :lol:

This puts life in perpective, doesn't it ? :lol:

Anyone higher ??
Klaus DK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2004, 9:42 PM   #7

Klaus-

...and if all images were printed as 6"x4" prints and laid end-to-end they would span, well, kind of a long way. :? ...and if all of the prints were stacked on top of one another, ...it wouldn't be very impressive at all. :lol:

but seriously, that many shots from a consumer camera bears testiment to Nikon engineering and manufacturing quality.
jawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2004, 2:40 AM   #8

ha ha, I agree Jawz. I think consumer (compact) cameras last very long. In i.e my Dslr the shutter mecanism should be able to do the same, but...well I have to see. Most Nikon shutters should last for about 150000 shot, what I've heard. Mine is sold before that though!
Old Mar 12, 2004, 9:01 AM   #9

To Klaus: Thanks for your post! I never did the math but its no big deal for me to take 300-500 at any given time,I do a lot of macro work and landscape work. This 885 is still going strong i just use it for B/W only.When it gets to 200,000 ill ship it to you!! Tealblue
Old Mar 13, 2004, 8:49 AM   #10

Tealblue.

Ha ha - I will begin to wait for it. I guess you will ship it in 2007.

Quote:
I never did the math but its no big deal for me to take 300-500 at any given time,
Me too...! It still puts life in perspective.