Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Tips & Tricks

Old Feb 6, 2004, 4:06 PM   #11

Parrot, the color could be any of several things. From improper white balance, wrong exposure, monitor not producing the colors properly, camera lcd images can change with the angle you look. Most likely, it is a white balance issue.
ohenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2004, 5:02 PM   #12

When I first read parrot5's post I thought his problem was colour and white balance. Ever since I tried both an A70 and A80 (the A70 was better) at 09.00 in the morning, overcast sky, shooting towards Northlight I got poor colour balance. I know it was colour balance because in the foreground was a brilliant white aluminium conservatory, and nothing in pics from either camera was white - balance tended towards blue. If I preset a daylight WB, colour was pretty close to reality. At mid day everything was much better on auto WB.

Then I discovered something really bad on the Minolta S414. If the auto flash fired outdoors, their version of white balance for flash wasn't preset for daylight, so outdoor pic colour, particularly on close ups, got screwed, and you weren't always aware that the flash had fired automatically. And we all know that whenever flash is used, the camera will overide any manual preset WB.

On the happy side, I took more pics with the S414 (flash disabled, daylight preset WB) towards the end of the day and got some amazing sky colours which emphasised the sunset conditions and looked really nice. VOX
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2004, 10:58 PM   #13

Klaus, bcoultry, and Alan, I'm taking a chance here since I don't think I'm your favorite poster. However, I'm posing (er, posting) anyway because I dearly respect all of your opinions and I see that you sort of follow each other around a bit, probably because you respect one another's views which is great. I think that you are excellent photographers. Go to the Tips and Tricks forum, if you don't mind, and offer me some info in my basketball request. I respect each and every one of you and respect your views. I know that you are not so much into sports photography, but photography is photography and basketball is very close to portrait photography I think personally. Thanks guys.
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2004, 11:27 PM   #14

It is interesting that you donít want the dark blue in the sky. Many people use polarizers just to get that deeper blue and better contrast with the clouds.

Orange skies and sunsets sometimes throw the white balance off. The camera thinks you are in incandescent light and tries to normalize the colors Ė which is what you donít want. Some white balance is infinitely adjustable but most cameras just have the presets. In that case it is probably best to do what VOX suggests and use sunny or cloudy, and have the white balance bracket if your camera does that.

I sometimes bracket with the spot meter, pre-metering on different parts of the scene. That varies both the exposure and white balance unless the whole ski is orange.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2004, 11:45 PM   #15

Slipe, photography is very cool and I love the "paint" idea of it, and the color and the light, as you do. We people who love to create just work with what we have, photographers included now, since you don't need to be a scientist any longer, and being an artist is good enough

I like Van Gogh

What can I say, I once painted an impasto oil, in an attempt to copy his style, and I did good indeed, I still have it hanging. My next project was pointilism.
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2004, 8:21 AM   #16

Quote:
since I don't think I'm your favorite poster
Before I even check out your reference to Tips & Tricks, I have to tell you that you mustn't take anything said here personally. All responses are to words and ideas, not to the people behind them. Yes, there are occasional tangles, but like little kids, we get briefly angry, then skip merrily along to the next idea.

Edit: I checked out your post in Tips & Tricks. First off, I wonder if maybe it would do better in the sports photos section. Just a thought. I wish you luck with this. I'm so NOT into sports that I can be of no help at all. There are probably techniques specific to the unique locations and actions of each sport. For instance, the light and motion you see and your own vantage point in surfing is utterly different from those same things in hockey or football--or basketball.
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote