Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Tips & Tricks

Old Oct 29, 2004, 11:32 PM   #11

bradg wrote:
Quote:
i have a dog tag atached to the outside of my camera bag via a little chain, it has my name, address, phone number, ans ss#

I agree that you have to have a certain amount of trust in poeple. That being said I hope you are careful with this info. With the info above, anyone who wanted to would be able to ruin your financial life.
GoCubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2004, 12:03 PM   #12

GoCubs wrote:
Quote:
bradg wrote:
Quote:
i have a dog tag atached to the outside of my camera bag via a little chain, it has my name, address, phone number, ans ss#

I agree that you have to have a certain amount of trust in poeple. That being said I hope you are careful with this info. With the info above, anyone who wanted to would be able to ruin your financial life.

well, the reason i put my ss number, is if i moved, all the above info would not be the same(everything but my name) and if someone would turn it over to the police, they could find me if they wanted.....not very likeley, but it could happen....

besides....i dont have a financial life, im too young....
bradg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2004, 1:52 PM   #13

bradg wrote:
Quote:
well, the reason i put my ss number, is if i moved, all the above info would not be the same(everything but my name) and if someone would turn it over to the police, they could find me if they wanted.....not very likeley, but it could happen....

besides....i dont have a financial life, im too young....
You can never be too young for someone to screw things up for you by stealing your identity. I would strongly recommend that you do not publicly display your SSN anywhere. If you think you might be moving, you might want to have a tag with a cell phone number on it. If you move and keep the same cell number, whoever finds your camera will still be able to contact you (if that person is honest!)

propwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2004, 2:01 PM   #14

very good point, i didnt think about puting my cell number

maybe i'll get a new one with my cell number and no ss number, heck, there only $2 and the place(army surplus store)is not even 20 min away, yes, i think i will...

thanks
bradg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2004, 5:13 PM   #15

I am a new member andwant to jump in here concerning using your SSN to identify your camera gear. Do Not Use Your SSN. As a retired LEO I can tell you that even police have a difficult time trying to find a name & address attached to a SSN. For that reason and the obvious identity theft problem, there is a better way. If you want to use something that is traceable, use your driver's license number. Police can obtain that info very quickly. A cell phone number is also a good ideal.

Personally, my buisiness cards have my name, email address, and web site url:
http://www.wills-domain.com/
Winginhunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2004, 4:52 PM   #16

Mikefellh wrote:
Quote:
How many here think their camera will be returned?

I've never even seen a password protected PDA returned to someone...they just wait for the batteries to die and then use it for themselves, or sell it.
A few months ago whilst on Lindisfarne, off the Northumberland coast, my wife and I found a fuji digital camera. We looked around in case someone was looking for a camera, but found no-one. We reported the find to the loacl post office [no police station] and left our details. At the end of the day we went back to the car park and I had a look at the pictures oin the camera. There was only one picture with a person on it, a female in a light top and blue jeans. What chance of identification ?. Then my wife quite ridiculously pointed to a couple getting into a car right accross the far side of the car park, believing she had found the owner. I ran over and stopped the car as is was pulling away. "Have you lost a digital camera ?" was met by total bafflement. They had lost it, it was theirs and they were totally amazed that we had found them and returned it. It turned out that the guy had some kind of head problem and was given to forgetfulness.

So what chance of getting your lost camera back? Who knows, but this couple were happy enough.

Only one week later we picked up a mobile phone near to a local gliding club, and the owner had his home number on it. We phoned him and he drove 50 miles to collect it.

I'm waiting for a sack of dosh to lie waiting for me. The owner might not be so lucky. Honesty has some limits you know!!
ken from the uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2004, 3:23 AM   #17

It would be interesting to see a fingerprint identification system implemented into these devices. That way a stolen/lost device is useless to any other person. Or a password system that cannot be hacked by removing the batteries from the device, and if a number of trials fails to turn on the device, it becomes innoperative until it's unlocked by the manufacturer. Of course, the original user would have to register the camera's serial number, so in case someone did send the camera to the manufacturer to be unlocked, the manufacturer could notify the legitimous owner that his or her device has been found.
marokero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2004, 9:25 PM   #18

Well if we can use a microchip implant on our Scottie, why not on my 20D?

And skip the fingerprints and use a dna sample. Man what a clearing house that will be, matching lost stuff with forgetful owners!!

Mayber ON-STAR will expand into the digital imaging area??
The Mayor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2004, 11:40 PM   #19

You probably aren't far off base - my husband recently purchased a new guitar & was researching an article in a guitar magazine about a microchip-type identification label that is placed inside the guitar. The idea was that you can place some type of identifying mark on the outside of your guitar & if you saw someone else with it you could verify your identity with the chip.

I recently saw an hour-long segment on TV regarding identity theft & they said to never give out your SS# unless it is to the SS Office or your Drivers License Bureau. They recommended never giving it out when you write a check (you know how some business want to incl. your DL # on the back of your check?). I'm sure most of you have seen / read the nightmare scenarios people have experienced when their identity was stolen. Some victims even end up in jail because the theif broke the law using their identity.

Although I'm generally very trustworthy & I want to believe that there are more honest people than not, you never know... It pays to play it safe - online & off!

CoastalCrew

CoastalCrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2004, 11:47 PM   #20

Go with a LoJack instead.

Instant GPS ID anywhere in the world.

Of course, currently, it may be much bigger than your cam!

It is used in high end vehicles with excellent recovery results post theft.
digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote