Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Tips & Tricks

Old Aug 13, 2004, 4:07 AM   #11

Isn't ingenuity wonderful. I came upon this site using a search for RC1000 as I am just purchased a Minolta A2. After seeing the price for the Minolta product understand why home made solutions are sought.

However, I came up with another solution. :?: I have had a Minolta 7000 for the last 18 years and on looking in my camera case I found that the remote I use is an RC1000. I guess that I spent a lot of money on this remote many years ago!
WalterR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2004, 10:12 AM   #12

All CD-ROM drives come with a standard cable to connect to the sound card.The end which plugs into the sound card (or motherboard), can be easily modified to become a plug to fit the camera. The pin size and spacing is identical. Just cut or file off the 4th socket and file a groove to match the locating polariser of the camera remote point. The rest is as other folk have done. Saves time making a special connector.
oseney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2004, 10:26 AM   #13
GER

Has anyone made a remote release for a Nikon CP5700? I bought the rather expensive MC-EU1 remote for the Nikon, but it has avery short cord (about 3 feet) and I was told by Nikon that it there is no extention cord for it.
GER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2004, 12:07 PM   #14

GER wrote:
Quote:
I bought the rather expensive MC-EU1 remote for the Nikon, but it has avery short cord (about 3 feet) and I was told by Nikon that it there is no extention cord for it.
How about cuting the cord an insert / adding an extension? well, with some soldering, splicing, heat shrink tubing ....
(Retired) mouse cord are excelent extention with 3 or 5 conductors.

Or, you can add combination of male-female stereo earphone/audio jacks to have a total 3 conductors extention.

KCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2004, 5:19 PM   #15

Nice and easy for the Minolta, but how do you make your own plug for an EOS :?
Pekkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2004, 12:36 PM   #16

Hi guys, I'm going to have a go at doing one for my Dimage 7i.

I've just tested the connections on the remote port on the camera to see if it works. I've bridged the LH and Centre pins and the camera sets the focus. So far, so good. However, I then bridged across the Centre and RH pins and nothing happens. Am I right in thinking that this should take a picture?

Edit: think I've sussed it. If I bridge the LH and Centre to focus and then also bridge the Centre and RH side (without losing the LH bridge) then the camera takes the picture. So what this means is that I'll need to keep the first switch down to focus, then press the second switch (without letting go of the first) to take the pic ...
Jedfordski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2004, 7:16 PM   #17

Jedfordski wrote:
Quote:
If I bridge the LH and Centre to focus and then also bridge the Centre and RH side (without losing the LH bridge) then the camera takes the picture. So what this means is that I'll need to keep the first switch down to focus, then press the second switch (without letting go of the first) to take the pic ...
Yes, FYI:

http://www.jjmb.nl/content/content.php?Name=Remote
KCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2005, 11:41 AM   #18

I was looking for information on the cable release and built my own for about $3.00. Went to an electronics supply house and got a three pin power supply connector. The pins are perfect. Had to remove the guides on the connector with a razor blade and cut a small slot to match the guide in the camera. I then bought a three button mouse at the dollar store. Two button would work but three is what they had. Remove every thing from the pc board except the switches. Cut through the circuits on the board to isolate the switchs. Move the mouse wires to the appropriate switch terminals, add the connector to the other end and you have a remote.

I also took out the ball and anything else that wasn't needed and can store the wire in the mouse by shoving it into the hole where the ball was. If they had had a retractable mouse that would have been better.

Next is to do this with a $5.00 remote control car to make it wireless.
ksgjlg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2005, 1:46 PM   #19

I've enjoyed your ideas ! Many years ago, I ripped apart a remote controlled model car and used the pivoting steering rod to push a cable release and trigger the camera. It was a little "weird sciency" looking, but worked at quite a distance. I took photos of myself roaring by on my motorbike . My wife thought (and still does) I was mad ! I'm not sure it would work now as my Coolpix 8800 doesn't have a cable release screw in. It does have an infrared remote that I guess could be triggered by pressure from the steering rod. It is a way to shoot from a remote location if you are after birds etc. without the need for wires. Remote control toys are really cheap now. I ruined a multi hundred dollar one !

Steve
The Scubbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2005, 6:07 PM   #20

I can't see the pictures at all here .. there's words that describe the picure, but no pics show up.
Kenny_Leong is offline   Reply With Quote