Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Tips & Tricks

Old Aug 19, 2004, 11:49 PM   #1

I'm just getting to know my digi camera and am taking photos for my cities newspaper just for photo credit. I'm having trouble understand what to do to meter the exposure.

I have a Sony Cyber-shotDSC-F707 that has multi-patterning, center-weighted, and spot meter options. My question is how do I meter an area, do I press the shutter halfway down when pointing at what I want to meter or what. Then after that do I just point and shoot at what I want to shoot.And will the sameexposure stillbe were I point. ( I know this probably isn't right and that's why I'm here, to get some help)

I'm very confused on this subject and would appreciate all the help I could get.
CaliBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 20, 2004, 8:24 AM   #2

Once you press the shutter button halfway, the camera will meter off what you are pointed at. Once metered, press the button fully. If you need to recompose, you need to press an exposure lock button (I'm not familiar with your camera, so I can't tell you more about that).

In pattern mode (best choice for most scenes), the camera will take the entire scene into computation to compute the necessary exposure. In center weighted, it includes the entire scene but gives precedence to the scene towards the center (portrait work is a good example of when you might prefer this mode). Spot metering is used to specifically single out an area that you want to expose on, then you would lock the exposure and recompose the scene to your liking.
ohenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2004, 1:16 PM   #3

Thank you very much. Your advise has finally made me understand. I've found the AE\lock too.

Old Aug 20, 2004, 4:45 PM   #4

:homey:Hi

I`ve used the 505 / 707 and now the 717 for a long time now. The advice you have been given is correct. If you need to recompose then you must release the half pressed shutter button and then half press again after recomposing. The AE lock does this but it is some times easier to use the shutter button. An important tip which applies to all digi cameras concerning shutter lag. If you need to take sport or action shots, the way to minimise and almost eliminate shutter lag is to set the camera to totally manual including focus. You will almost certainly be using infinity and if you set the camera to manual mode and meter for the general situation you should be OK. Track you subject with the shutter button half pressed and fire when required. The lag should be milliseconds. You can make any adjusments in Photoshop or similar.

Cheers

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2004, 5:23 PM   #5

Thanks Graham. The action shot information is really helpful since I'll be taking photos of Motocross. I usually like taking landscape/nature shots but this will help to gain some photo credit. And more interesting info you have on the 707 would be helpful.