Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Tips & Tricks

Old Sep 4, 2004, 11:51 PM   #1

Hi,

I am connecting a panasonic Lumix DMC FX1 to my pc thought USB post.
I've installed the driver which form the attached CD.
But i still get error say " can't find DMC-FX1 hardware".

My PC is running win98 se and USB port is working fine.

Can anyone help, Thanks.

Sam
pn2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 7, 2004, 2:44 PM   #2

Hi Sam,

I suggest you purchase a media reader.

Good luck

Digcamfan
digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2004, 2:48 PM   #3

May be check if there is any microsoft update or patch concerning USB port ? is the driver from the camera specific for win 98? win98SE?

I think that a reader will save you from headache and frustration, plus it's faster, plus you can even use it as a USB removable drive.
KCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2004, 2:56 PM   #4

It seems PC connectivity is a common problem amongst many different cameras. Mine had lots of problems even with Windows XP until I managed to get it to work.

I also advise getting a card reader.
DanielT2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2004, 11:53 AM   #5

I was wondering how you got your camera to work on XP as I am facing the same problem now and want to buy a card reader only as a last resort. The PC recognises the camera but when it goes to install the 'new hardware', it says: data error (cyclic redundancy check). Device manager says that the camera does not have a driver while the installation CD says driver is not neccessary as XP already cones with one. Wondering if you had the same problem.
shimmer78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2005, 4:56 AM   #6
A3D

USB Devices May Not Work in Windows 98 Second Edition

Check the patch at the MS site below if you are running Win98SE and have an AMD processor and a VIA Technologies USB controller:

http://support.microsoft.com/default...;EN-US;q240075

Hope this helps.

A3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2005, 7:44 AM   #7

This could be a multitude of issues, and alot of questions would have to be answered before help could be given. If you still can't get it to work, I will try to help you. Here are a few questions if not. I do not own this camera or operate in 98 anymore but this is my field and I might be able to help.

1. You said the USB port is working, what happens when you plug the camera in? Does it say it found new hardware? If not you might want to check for issues ( usually question marks in the device manager of the control panel) If you have High Speed internet I would strongly recommend you go here and download the unofficial service pack for windows 98 it has most of the fixes that microsoft put out and greatly enhances USB. http://exuberant.ms11.net/98sesp.html

2. Did you install the camera driver into windows 98se (make sure you downloaded the latest at panasonic.com). If so it should not that it found your camera there. If there is unknown hardware in the device manager (usually question marks) or errors (usually exclamation points)delete those and then scan for hardware changes in the control panel when hardware is found run it against your camera drivers to check for match if not then this could also be USB hardware without drivers.

3. Enough for now let me know if you want more tips.
nitroq2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2005, 6:12 AM   #8
A3D

Anyone having problems with USB support in Win98se should take a look at the USB Man's page. Some very comprehensive and accurate info here.

http://www.usbman.com/win98seusbguide.htm

A3D
A3D is offline   Reply With Quote