Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Tips & Tricks

Old Sep 18, 2004, 8:54 PM   #1

I recently purchased a canon digital rebel in hopes of having a portable camera with which to do timelapse work. It sucks at this however. With everything in manual mode, aperature, shutter, focus, ISO and white balance, the image "density" changes from shot to shot. There is something in the sensor that is processing the light that enters the camera above and beyond the aperature and shutter. In effect, the light levels can change dramatically from shot to shot. The resulting footage when played back at 30 fps looks like it is being projected through a bad projector. Flutters and jitters like crazy.

Now I have shot plenty of timelapse with 35mm motion picture cameras and video cameras, and this is not normal. Does anyone know of a digital camera/sensor that doesn't cause this disconcerting effect?
stats79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 23, 2004, 1:45 PM   #2

Do you have a RAW mode on that camera...it saves the picture with no in-camera processing (unlike a JPG). Might solve the problem.
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2006, 12:24 PM   #3

I'm looking for a time-lapse like capability in a compact, mid-range ( say $300) digital camera. I see several reviews that say theRicoh Caplio R4 has time-lapse, implying an image as frequently as every 30 seconds, but the manual (on-line) mentions only the interval capability, not time-lapse.

The manual implies the interval can be set as frequently asevery 5 sec.

An interval of 5 sec. is very attractive to me, if it can run as a movie. What I'm trying to get is timelapse of cloud movement across the sky, andthe 15 sec. interval I currently get using a video camera is pretty rough. 5 sec seems about right.

Does anyone have experience with this feature of the Ricoh R4, or suggestions of other cameras that have time-lapse capability.
fun21x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2006, 1:18 PM   #4

Stats79

With a SLR camera, light can pass through the eyepiece of the viewfinder and affect the exposure meter.My Pentax MZ7came with a plasic cover for the eyepiece (if the camera was on a tipod and your eye was not covering the eyepiece) I assume the same can happen with a DSLR. Maybe this is why your exposures were so erratic.

Just a thought
JockScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2006, 2:31 PM   #5
rey

fun21x

These are two year old posts that you're responding to.

rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2006, 3:20 AM   #6

this seemed like the right topic for my question. Is there a better place?
fun21x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2006, 2:21 PM   #7

rey wrote:
Quote:
fun21x

These are two year old posts that you're responding to.
You're right!! ..... sorry
JockScott is offline   Reply With Quote