Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Tips & Tricks

Old Sep 25, 2004, 5:30 PM   #1

I must say that Iam very happy with my Z3 digital zoom . Ive attached a few of my pics as examples.
Attached Images

vexedviking is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 28, 2004, 4:59 PM   #2

There is only one picture showing and it needs some help. It is not a bad picture but there are several things that would improve it.

First of all, the entire picture is out of focus. If you were using auto-focus, it did not work. This may be due to the subdued lighting and not having enough texture in the subject to focus on. The auto-focus system needs to "see" texture or sharp lines to work properly. In low light, the texture does not show up as well. Use of fill flash would have helped the autofocus considerably. Another thought just occurred to me. Since this camera is apparently new, perhaps it was not set for auto focus. If it were set for manual focus and you didn't know it, the chances of anything being in focus are slim. Review your camera controls and manual and verify that everything is setup properly.

Depth of field is very shallow but that is probably ok for this type of photo. For a portrait, you don't want the background to be sharp.

The composition needs improving. The objects in the lower left corner are very distracting. Using a house as a background may not have been the best choice. The house might be ok if you get close enough so that it fills most of the frame and your subject is standing in front.

It does not appear that you used flash. Flash would have helped this photo immensely. Although there may have been enough light that your camera did not call for flash, you can use the flash controls to manually turn the flash on.

Lastly, lose the date stamp! It looks very amateurish. The date and time are contained in the EXIF information for the picture and can be extracted with your photo editing software.

Photoshop or Paint Shop Pro could do wonders in improving this picture but I prefer to get the best possible image out of the camera before using editing software.

You mentioned that you posted a few pictures. Can you post the others for comparison?

If you have any questions, feel free to post them here or send me a private message.
calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2004, 5:51 PM   #3

Here is the picture after a few minutes work in Paint Shop Pro 7. I did a contrast adjustment, saturation adjustment, unsharp mask, cropped, and cloned out the date.

Cal Rasmussen
calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2004, 12:52 PM   #4

Here it is in photoshop after about 1 to 2 minutes of work. Levels adjusted slightly, unsharp mask at 100, 1 radius, 4 threshold. Also a quick date removal.

Cut it out and put it on a new background if you really need to. I did some of a young couple going to a dance on the east coast and dropped them into a backgroud of a fountain in Chicago.It looked very good and if you did not know it, you would think they were actually in Chicago.
Attached Images

Rookie is offline   Reply With Quote