Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Tips & Tricks

Old Oct 4, 2004, 1:41 PM   #1

Anyone want to list off some books that are great for beginners? I'm getting my new Canon S1 IS soon and I'd love to have some background before I just start taking random pictures. Thanks!
mnarciso is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 4, 2004, 2:17 PM   #2

Some sites I recommend:

For those new to photography and/or digital:
http://209.196.177.41/

How autofocus works on your camera (helps in knowing the limits of what your camera can focus on):
http://www.howstuffworks.com/autofocus3.htm

Your camera's manuals (including any reference manual that may be on the CD)

I personally believe you have to learn some basics first about your camera first, and then graduate to the artistic. To use an analogy, someone who wants to be a racecar driver has to learn what the controls of a car does and how to drive, and then practice until it becomes instinct before they can drive at 200mph.
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2004, 2:20 PM   #3

I totally agree with you! The sites you gave me are great and I will read every page back to front. Thanks a lot Mikefellh.
Old Oct 5, 2004, 12:48 PM   #4

Don't ignore the public library. I know the library system in my city has thousands of photography titles, and they don't have to be digital related...recently I got a book on flash use which covered everything from the internal flash on the camera to using multiple strobes.
Old Oct 6, 2004, 1:03 AM   #5

An outstanding book, if you can find it is "The Art of Seeing", part of the Kodak Workshop Series. This book focuses more on being able to "see" an excellent photo just about anywhere you look. It emphasizes composition, balance, perspective and other important elements of a photo much more than equipment. It has shooting exercises that you can do with any camera. This book was published before digital cameras hit the market so don't look for information on how to shoot a DIGITAL picture. Look for information on shooting a picture.

Cal Rasmussen

Note--The picture below was scanned from the cover of the book. I made no attempt to correct for the moire pattern from the halftone color print.
Attached Images

calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2004, 1:12 AM   #6

This is exactly the kind of thing I'm looking for, this would go great along my Canon manual and other books. Luckily I found it here at Amazon but it looks like they are used. Here is the link for anyone else interested. I need to get my copy asap before they run out! Thanks for the wonderful suggestion.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...books&n=507846
Old Oct 6, 2004, 4:28 AM   #7

Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson is a classic. I learned more from it than any photography book I've ever read. There is a wealth of knowledge yet he explains everything in a way that is easy for beginners to understand, andthe bookinspires you to get out and shoot, too.
lucky2505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2004, 11:50 AM   #8

Wow at the rate this is going you guys are going to make me go broke from all the books! Keep em coming though =) the only thing I need now is... my camera!
Old Oct 6, 2004, 12:36 PM   #9

mnarciso wrote:
Quote:
Wow at the rate this is going you guys are going to make me go broke from all the books!
As I wrote above, don't ignore the public library.

(added later)

I just checked my library, and they have that Kodak book above, The Art of Seeing. Of course if you really like a book you can still always buy your own copy of it!
Old Oct 6, 2004, 12:39 PM   #10

Ahh true I keep forgetting about the library, I think I never think of there because it usually takes them awhile to carry newer books but I guess I don't really need a book on "Digital Photography". Thanks for the reminder hehe.