Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Tips & Tricks

Old Oct 4, 2004, 10:53 PM   #1

Have a .pdf copy of your manual? Do you need to see it on the road? Place a .pdf copy of the manual on that memory card and it is always with you.

My D70 .pdf manual is only 20 mb, so is just sits on one of my 512 cards just waiting for the day i might need it.

Still plenty of room for pics
ltccarndt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 6, 2004, 11:05 AM   #2

Does your camera read the manual? (If so, which model is it?) Or do you have to carry with you also the card reader and the PC so you can read it? Perhaps it is more practical to carry the printed manual with you.
José A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2004, 12:20 PM   #3

or carry it on the PC or laptop if you do indeed need that to view it.
choeschen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2004, 2:40 PM   #4

Nice idea, butyou would be limited when it comes to viewing the manual. You will need to find a computer that has a compatible memory card reader, unless you carry a reader.

Also, most people format their cards in the camera. I believe unless you protect this file, it will get erased during format.

Plus, 20 megs is a lot of pics for some people.

I would think if you really needed the manual, throw the original in your bag. It would weigh less than a printed version, yet still be handy.

Just my .02....

--------
Ryan
RyanH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2004, 11:23 PM   #5

Perhaps a handier tool would be to write up your own summary (2 – 3 pages) in bullet form, save them as JPEG images, then upload that into your camera. When you need to read up on a tip, you can use the photo viewer with digital zoom to read the points. I know of someone back in University who used his digicam to give a presentation. It was quite funny, though very effective.
TheGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2004, 4:21 PM   #6
kex

I don't see a problem in taking the manual with oneself at all. :?

And I don't want to read manuals on the small screen of the cam either because it ain't easy reading texts like that.

Plus,
I study the manual before I use my cam and then practise with my cam after reading.

just MY 2 cents. no offense to anyone. It's just, you know.. they way I do it.
kex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2004, 5:20 PM   #7

I bring the manuals for all my equipment - external battery pack, camera, external flash, and swissflame lighter knife - in a ziplock bag that goes at the bottom of my camera bag.
Red Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2004, 10:04 PM   #8

you know those little keychain usb drive thingys, id sugjest useing one of those
bradg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2004, 10:23 AM   #9
kex

bradg wrote:
Quote:
you know those little keychain usb drive thingys, id sugjest useing one of those
and then? you need to have a notebook or pc with you to read files from these usb sticks. or is there a cam which can do that? Just curious.
kex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2004, 11:38 AM   #10

TheGhost wrote:
Quote:
summary (2 – 3 pages) in bullet form, save them as JPEG images, then upload that into your camera.
Many digicams will refuse to recognise edited images when they're put back on the card, even if they follow the correct filename convention and are in a correct folder structure. It's worth trying it on your camera to see if it works or not. Any camera without an attitude sensor needs this if you want to do a slide show including 'portrait' images as well as 'landscape' ones, on the monitor or via the 'TV-out'.

However, David Taylor's 20ukpound shareware "TVWriter" software from www.satsignal.net gets round this problem.I don't know how he does it. For many models of camera it will take *any* jpeg file and format it so that it will be readable on the camera. It's meant to assist with doing TV slide shows using the 'video out' socket of a camera, but it does just as well as a poor man's video projector. You can inflict your life's work, sales pitch, or political platform as a 'Powerpoint'-like presentation on anyone who's unfortunate to be caught near you and owns a TV (i.e., almost everybody). There's also a freeware demo version that puts a banner on the images.

Good luck
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote