Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Tips & Tricks

Old Dec 4, 2004, 7:21 PM   #21

What's the best compact camera for car racing photos?

I'm looking for a new digital camera that will sometimes be used at motorsports events.

My old camera had no control over shutter speed, so you could get OK shots some of the time, but most of the time it was blurred.

Attached isphoto taken at the Rally of GB in Wales in September. I've no idea what the shutter speed was, but it's come out OK considering the car was doing about 80mph, and the camera was a basic one on auto mode.
Attached Images

pj9875 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2004, 10:43 PM   #22

Hi there to all the other photographers. Im new here and would like comments and/or tips on my 3 photos that I have posted which I think were the only decent ones out of 120 I took at the Telstra Rally held each year here in Perth Western Australia. I am using a canon 300d and the settings for all the photos were: Shutter speed 1/1600, 5.6 Aperture and ISO 100. I have so much more to learn but would appreciate any help possible.

Thanks AussieBryan
Attached Images

aussiebryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2004, 10:46 PM   #23

Second photo
Attached Images

Old Dec 4, 2004, 10:47 PM   #24

Second photo
Attached Images

Old Dec 4, 2004, 10:56 PM   #25

Third photo
Attached Images

Old Dec 6, 2004, 5:32 PM   #26

aussie, altough you pics came out great, the technique referred in this post has another objective than just caption a moving object to a freezing standstill.

If you use the panning technique you'll be able to focus on your moving subject, but due to your longer shutter value, the background objects/scenery will appear blurred, while your subject will be focused. This will give a sense of movement to the pic. Do a little search, with your camera you'll get excellent results if you learn the technique.
ttretas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2004, 7:14 AM   #27

ttretas you mention the panning technique, could you please explain that in more detail please. I gather its moving the camera alng the same direction as the car but is there a set way of doing this?
Old Dec 8, 2004, 10:49 AM   #28

I'm sure there are lots of people in this board with better knowledge than me, but I'll explain to you what I usually do.

You need to follow the car when he's coming to you, take the pic when he's passing you, and continue following him after he's passed you.

As you can see, there's a contradiction in terms of focusing. If you want to take a pic in an exact moment you must have the camera focused and ready to shoot. From what I understand (little btw) there are some cameres that predict the position of the moving object, so you can start focusing it whille it's in movement, and the camera will "refresh" the focus until you shoot.

I have a Minolta G400, so I don't have those hi-tech features. I always take the pics in manual mode and, has I can't use a polarizer, I must adapt my shutter speed to the weather, so the pics don't come either over or underexposed.

The steps I do are:
-choose a good location considering the background (very important)
-take a few pics and check the exposure by looking the ldc
-focus THE point of the road where I'm going to take the pic. Usually rigth in front of me, so that I'm perpendicular to the moving object. Lock the focus.
-use the panning technique and try to catch them rigth on spot.

Has I only have 3x zoom I need to be real close to the subject, that's why it's so difficult for me to take good pics. I'll post some pics when I have the chance.

Here's an example pic of mine:

(yes, it's a girl )
ttretas is offline   Reply With Quote