Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Tips & Tricks

Old Oct 18, 2004, 8:45 AM   #1

First of all, being new to the forum,'I'd like to say hi to all you forummers!
It's been interesting to read all the discussions.

Last sunday I went to the racing track to take some pictures with my Minolta Z1.
(Easier said then done) I'd set the shutter to 1/80 and ISO 50 and tried to follow the cars... Some of them arequite nice, but most of the timethey wherevery unsharp.

I'd like to hear the tips you have to make the next time a big succes! :-)

Regards,

Peter
http://www.magicphotoworld.com
MPW Peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 18, 2004, 1:51 PM   #2

My Z2 does sports car shots very well. You can go to http://www.willmegee.com/images/gran..._04/index.html to see some of the ones I've taken. For most of those I used 1/250 of a second in Shutter priority mode, ISO 200 or 100 since it was cloudy.

First thing to remember is never use a shutter speed lower than 1/focal length. At max zoom on the z1, that would be no slower than 1/380th of a second. Go lower than this and you risk camera shake.

My panning technique is usually the following: lock focus on car, then while holding focus lock, pan to follow the car, snap the picture while panning, and continue to follow the car until you're 100% sure the shutter is closed again (.5-1 sec). Pan horizontally, smoothly. I wouldn't use less than 1/125th of a sec or so until you get your technique down.

Finally, which part of the picture is blurry? The background it supposed to be blurry, that's the point. Is the car out of focus or just not very sharp? Posting a few pictures would help.
wpmegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2004, 1:58 AM   #3

Hi wpmegee,

Thanks for commenting. I've taken a look at your pictures, they're great!

You asked for an example, so here it is:

Unsharp:

The way it should be:

Both pctures are taken last sunday on the Zandvoort Circuit in the Netherlands.
Old Oct 19, 2004, 1:31 PM   #4

First of all the top one is way overexposed, see how washed out the brightest parts of the image are, which means you used either a too long shutter speed (which causes the blurriness), or too wide aperture (smaller f numbers). I couldn't get the EXIF data to come up however I'm on Windows 2000, when I get home I'll look at it on Windows XP. What mode did you shoot these in? P,A,S,M, or Auto? I would always use "S" (shutter-priority) for sports shots. What aperture, shutter speed, and iso did you use? If you used 1/80, then that's probably borderline too slow for a good exposure, especially in bright sunlight, and won't stop the motion very well either.
wpmegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2004, 5:06 PM   #5

Since the Minolta Z1 is capable of full manual, that's what I'd recommend. A decent aperture begins at 11 in bright to moderate sunlight, but there's the "sunny 16" rule that a lot of people follow. A shutter speed of 1/200 should "freeze" the cars while not stopping the tire motion. I'm not sure if the full time auto focus remains in effect while the Z1 is in manual mode, but if it is, then panning with the cars will give sharper shots. A good rule of thumb is to follow the car slightly before it gets to you, or after it has past you by, because trying to follow it near you makes it much more difficult to obtain a good shot. Hope that helps you out some.
SkippyTheWonderPuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2004, 5:12 PM   #6

Oops! Forgot to mention, use an ISO a bit higher than the ISO 50 you said was used. More along the lines of 100 or 200, preferably 200.
Old Oct 19, 2004, 6:26 PM   #7

I tried this once, lemme try again since I goofed the file size.
This is an example of that method, though I used a slightly faster shutter speed. Caught this guy as he wizzed past my house. I know, it's not a car, but the same methods apply.
Attached Images

Old Oct 20, 2004, 6:17 AM   #8

@ wpmegee:
I only use the M (manual) mode, what 's the advantage of shutter-priority mode?
Old Oct 20, 2004, 6:21 AM   #9

Hi Skippy,

Thanks for joining the thread!
You said something about aperture:
Quote:
A decent aperture begins at 11 in bright to moderate sunlight, but there's the "sunny 16" rule that a lot of people follow.
The Z1 has values between 2.8 and 8.0 how are these related to Analogue camera's?
Old Oct 20, 2004, 8:13 AM   #10

Sorry, hadn't checked on all of the specks on your camera. O.k Then, I'll think of it like a DC-T50. If you have an ev compensation, you can use f8 and some ev compensation (dependant on how your camera handles it) to keep from blowing out the details. It'd be the same as stopping it down further.
As for shutter priority, You set the shutter speed and the camera adjusts the aperture etc. But that's no guarantee that the details come out with the expected results. Some cameras handle shutter priority well, and some don't. If you want a more certain control just stick to manual mode.

Don't be affraid to walk around the house or your yard testing different settings. It'll give you a real good idea what your camera can and can't handle well.

Hope this helped some.

regards