Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Tips & Tricks

Old Nov 1, 2004, 8:05 PM   #1

Did enyone know how can I lock pictures in camera or in memory card, in manner to be imposible to take out ( or delete) witouth my password. If that is specific task , wich camera can do this. (It's not have to be TOP GUN, 3 MP will be good enought)
nikola is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 1, 2004, 11:01 PM   #2

If there were such a system, someone would invent a way to unlock the picture and delete it...there's NO WAY to permanently encode a picture so no one can delete it (unless the card also had a rom where you could burn the image into one time, but even that could be defeated).
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2004, 4:09 AM   #3

Its dont't have to be impossible to delete pictures. I simply want to find way to assure that if I give camera to other person to take some pics oftehnological process
he can't make his backup of them without my permission.
Old Nov 2, 2004, 12:31 PM   #4

I can't think of a camera that does this...there is memory protection on some cameras, but it's to prevent accidental erasure of pictures you choose to protect (and that isn't password protected).

Even if you had erased the card before giving the other person the camera, if they wanted to they could run a recovery program to get back the erased pictures...I don't think there's any way to ensure that pictures could be copied (other than giving the person a brand new card which you haven't used).
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2004, 11:48 AM   #5
rp3

umm... You can buy a second memory card for any camera. Take your pictures, yank the card out, put the second one in and give it to him, no risk. This works with any camera
rp3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2004, 5:14 PM   #6

rp3 has the solution.

Many cameras let you flag images against deletion that makes deleting them a longish series of steps. Pretty much impossible to do by accident. If you don't trust the person to not delete those images, why would you trust him to hold your camera?
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2004, 7:23 PM   #7

I think he is trying to say that he is giving his camera to someone to take pictures for him, and is trying to stop them from making copies ofthe pictures they tookfor themselves. Is this correct nikola?

If it is, then I dont think there is any way to do that short of making a legal contract saying that they wont make copies for themselves. And then, if they do, you could sue them.
rob_strain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2004, 7:49 PM   #8
rp3

There is another way. I know my Canon makes default directories for the pictures to be in. If you have a SD/Compact Flash reader (and he does not), then you can make a new directory outside of the camera's naming system and copy your pictures there.
rp3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2004, 11:58 AM   #9

Altering the directory structure of a memory card outside the camera is risky. The camera may not recognize the card until reformatted. The easiest solution has already been stated. Get another memory card and swap cards in the camera before loaning to the other person. That way, you have absolute control over the images you don't want your associate to see.
calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2004, 3:44 PM   #10

Rob_Strain got the right picture, that is exactly what I intend to do.

Legal contract is OK solution, but that is very difficult to process with that becouse I'll give camera to more than one person.

Is that really dont exist any software or hardware solution for my need, and nobody else need such solutin for himselfe?