Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Tips & Tricks

Old Nov 2, 2004, 9:20 PM   #11

so far they are still guidelines not yet standards :-), and for some reason I seem to think the "required submission size" seems to be keeping up with what the current crop of high end pro cameras are capable of producing.

fmilder wrote:
Quote:
I really wonder about these standards and whether the people enforcing them even know what they are trying to accomplish.
If you have photoshop try the 10% resizing method. Keep repeatedly upsizing the image by 10% until you get to the size you want. Then examine it to see if it still holds up, it probably could use some unsharp mask at this point. There are some PS actions that do this automagically, but you would have to find them.

Or I have had good luck with an older version of Genuine Fractals that came with some hardware long ago, but it is a fairly expensive package from LizardTech to buy.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2004, 9:39 PM   #12

My guess is that this editor might have learned things the same way I do. Trial and error. Teach yourself. He wanted to publish a magazine and pretty much taught himself what he needed to know. I want to write and take pictures, and I'm learning as I go along.

I think he's going to be able to use one of my hummingbird shots.

backyarder1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2004, 9:14 AM   #13
Administrator

For a Magazine Cover size image,even Lanczos should work fine. Irfanview includes the Lanczos interpolation algorithm (and it's free). You can download it from http://www.irfanview.com (you will find the resize options under Image, Resize/Resample). Make sure to download the free plugins, too.

You may also want to take a look a PhotoZoom Pro (formerly S-Spline Pro):

http://www.trulyphotomagic.com/short...info&cat=3

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2004, 2:58 AM   #14

JimC schrieb:
Quote:
For a Magazine Cover size image,even Lanczos should work fine.
You forgot the smilie!

Lanczos is a windowed sinc interpolation which is close to perfection when it comes to resizing. Since you work in the spatial domain, the convolution with a sinc is the equivalent of the rect in the frequency domain used to filter the image.

Lanczos is not perfect, but for a cover it will do

If you want perfect resizing, you need to check out the new JPEG extensions.
Jurgen Eidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2004, 7:00 PM   #15
kaw

i would recommend photoshop for a program to have the final picture in the format they want fo rthe magazine. talk to a local graphic artist or school and they should be able to help you.

i just got my fz1 in and the pics are more then adequate for any print with proper interpolation
kaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2004, 3:53 AM   #16

PS to Backyarder, your cyan coloured txt only works with the black colour scheme.
horrgakx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2004, 7:07 AM   #17

Thanks all. Some how the editor figured out how to get the pic to work for his cover.

I appreciate your help.
Old Nov 29, 2004, 11:52 PM   #18

For what it's worth, this cover shot (issue 59) was from my Z1, which is only a 3.2 mp camera.
http://www.insidetrackmagazine.com/Issues/Issue59.html

A friend of mine is doing an automotive book and asked me to get some pics of Highway 99 here in Washington. He strictly emphasized his editor required shots on slide film only, so I had to dig out my old N60 and shoot slides for the first time ever. I also shot the same pics with my D70, I'll be curious to see how the slides look compared to the D70 pics.
murphyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2004, 11:41 AM   #19

jimtfoto wrote:
Quote:
Does your camera give you a total file size of 3 mp, or is that the JPG size? I shoot with a Canon 10D, which gives 6.3 mp JPG files, certainly not in the 8 mp range as was earlier suggested you needed. Some of the files I save go down around the 3 mp range when they're JPGed. These pix have run at 8 x 10 at 240 dpi, on magazine stock.

cheers,
jim
Sounds like you're talking about megaBYTES, not megaPIXELS.
Tom LaPrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2004, 12:05 PM   #20

Hi everyone. My photo made it to the cover. Have attached a scan

for all to see. Thanks for all of your help.

Betsy
Attached Images