Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Tips & Tricks

Old Nov 1, 2004, 9:53 PM   #1

An editor that I am submitting photos to for a magazine cover says that the quality is not good enough, supposedly because my camera is only a 3 megapixel camera. The pictures were shot with the highest resolution (2016 x 1512 pixels). Shouldn't this be high enough, even though the camera is only 3 megapixels? Do I need to do something special to save the pictures?
backyarder1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 1, 2004, 10:26 PM   #2

Digital Image Submission Guidelines

Isuspect a magazine cover would fit under category A, a 150line screen. Which would place an 8.5*11 cover somewhere in the 8-16 mprange.

PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2004, 7:18 AM   #3

Sorry I am so unknowledgeable about this, but are you saying that someone would need an 8 megapixel CAMERA to create a cover shot?
Old Nov 2, 2004, 1:14 PM   #4

Yep, that's what's being said here.

The rule of thumb is for halftone line screen of 150 lines per inch (LPI) is to double the pixels/dots per inch (PPI or DPI) so that's 300DPI. An 8.5x11" 300dpi page is 2550 x 3300 pixels, and that is 8,415,000 pixels or 8.4 megapixels.

You could interpolate the 3mp pictures, but with that you are just adding information that wasn't there in the first place to artificially increase the image size by more than double.

Using the above formula, your 3mp camera is only good enough for a 5x6.5" magazine picture (in portrait orientation).

If you are serious about this as a career you should get at least an 8mp dSLR camera with a large imager (not one of those consumer point & shoot cameras with a tiny imager).
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2004, 1:17 PM   #5

Thanks. I bought the Lumix DMC FZ3 ONLY because it had a 12x zoom lens. I never imagined I would have a photo good enough for a magazine, but I got some great hummingbird shots. Unfortunately, they might not be able to use them because of them limited megapixels. Already time to upgrade!!!!

Thanks SO Much for your very informative reply.

Betsy
Old Nov 2, 2004, 3:07 PM   #6

Does your camera give you a total file size of 3 mp, or is that the JPG size? I shoot with a Canon 10D, which gives 6.3 mp JPG files, certainly not in the 8 mp range as was earlier suggested you needed. Some of the files I save go down around the 3 mp range when they're JPGed. These pix have run at 8 x 10 at 240 dpi, on magazine stock.

cheers,
jim
jimtfoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2004, 3:45 PM   #7

The largest picture size that the camera shoots is 2016 x 1512 pixels. I use that setting at fine (low compression). The pictures look great to me but the magazine editor is having a hard time with them. He took some to a photo studio to get their input today.
Old Nov 2, 2004, 4:25 PM   #8
Administrator

If it were me, I'd interpolateit to 8.4MP using decent software, after cropping to the exact dimensions of the magazine cover. After that, I'd conservatively tweakit a little bit (Unsharp Mask,etc., but not too much), thenprintone at the magazine cover size, and resubmit the tweaked image with the print showing the editor what to expect (it sounds like you havethe ability to talk to the editor about itif you know that he's discussing it with his staff).

I'd also point out that the excellent lens on your camera comes into play (not just the number of pixels). BTW, your Panasonic DMC-FZ3 has tested higher on resolution charts in some reviews compared to 4MP models (and there is no doubt in my mind that the lens had something to do with it).

Also, for shots where optical zoom is used, you're not going to make up for lack of zoom with a higher megapixel camera (if you need to crop for your subject to take up the amount of the frame you want it to). So, you'd also need a lens that reaches as long as you need it to for the shot.

Because resolution is computed by multiplying width x height (as in area), it takes 4 times the resolution to give you as much subject detail in pixels per inch if you need to crop to make it look like you're using twice as much optical zoom. Notice where your Panasonic falls in the list on this chart compared to other non-DSLR models (higher in the list compared to the 8MP models with 200mm equivalent lenses):

http://www.geocities.com/digital_ray...oomzoomv6.html

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2004, 5:24 PM   #9

Thanks all. The editor just called me and gave me all sorts of useful information. Between him and you guys, I might figure out what I'm doing.
Old Nov 2, 2004, 7:40 PM   #10

I have found on more than a few occasions that if I take a photo that is below the required resolution, and interpolate it to equal or exceed the required resolution, then the question doesn't even get raised.

I really wonder about these standards and whether the people enforcing them even know what they are trying to accomplish.
fmilder is offline   Reply With Quote