Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Tips & Tricks

Old Nov 8, 2004, 8:42 AM   #1

I've been told there is a setting or mode on the Dig. cameras that the camera takes the light from the object you are taking to get it's light setting maybe (Spot or Candle). Like on a low lit small stage where there is one person playing a guitar and if you are sittng about 10-15ft from the person. If you use this setting or mode the camera will not use all the surrounding light to set it's setting. It will only zero on the object reflextive light.

Anyone know about this. Is there different names for this setting or modeon other cameras ?:|
twigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 8, 2004, 8:53 AM   #2
Administrator

Many models allow you to set metering to Spot.

The default metering is usually matrix (a.k.a., multi-segment, which examines portions of the entire frame), or Center Weighted (which still looks at the entire frame, but places more emphasis on the center).

Spot Metering (as it's name implies), uses a spot in the the very centerof the viewfinder for metering purposes (although some models with multi-point focus can tie the metering to the selected focus point).

From looking at your previous posts, you appear to have a Digital Rebel. This model does not have a spot metering option.

Note that in low light (and indoor photos outside of the flash range are low light), most models will have a problem (and metering may not be it).

With some models, you may need to force flash off to prevent underexposure (otherwise, they don't allow shutter speeds slow enough to properly expose the image). You'll also need to increase ISO speed (to increase the camera's sensitivity to light). Otherwise, shutter speeds will be far too slow to prevent motion blur from camera shake with many lenses.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2004, 5:13 PM   #3

Thanks for the info !!

I also have a Olympus D- 550 and D-580 which I use more at shows. I sit like 10-15 feet from the artist when they play. So I'm trying to get the best shot without useing the flash. I have the ISO set to 400 which is there max.

ButI didn't see the Spot setting. Which i probably don't have.

Now is the Spot setting like something you can turn off and on like when your can turn the flash on and off with the little symbol they use. Or is in settings of the camera like when you want the dig zoom on or off?

Wasn't sure where to found it.

Would you find this Spot in the same place on a Sony ?
Old Nov 8, 2004, 5:46 PM   #4
Administrator

Each camera will be different as far as getting to the metering choices. A quick glance at the specs for your Olympus D-580 Zoom show that it's got both ESP (Olympus' name formatrix matering)and Spot Metering:

http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_se...t=956&fl=4

Look under it's Mode Menu and you should find the two metering options somewhere.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2004, 5:52 PM   #5

JimC wrote:
Quote:
Each camera will be different as far as getting to the metering choices. A quick glance at the specs for your Olympus D-580 Zoom show that it's got both ESP (Olympus' name formatrix matering)and Spot Metering:

http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_se...t=956&fl=4

Look under it's Mode Menu and you should find the two metering options somewhere.
Your Awesome !!

I will check it out.

When I find out about the Sony model I'll get back to you.