Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Tips & Tricks

Old Dec 3, 2004, 12:33 AM   #1

:?I am wondering if somebody can give me some advice here. I have heard that taking snow scene shots that there is a lot of extrablue light that gives snow a bluish colour and that itcan be corrected by using a yellow filter. I haven't done any winter scenes as of yet so my experience here is non existent.

Can somebody give me some ideas on how soft of a yellow filter to use? I have one yellow filter for black and whites, but it is a fairly strong yellow and gives colour photos a yellow colour. I am also wondering if I could use my yellow filter and just adjust the white balance. ( I have an Olympus C 4000.)

Thanks for any suggestions.

Gemery
gemery is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 3, 2004, 12:44 AM   #2

if you have manual WB you should be able to set it on the white snow...

or on a black, grey, or white card (as long as you hold the card in the same light as the snow you're shooting!

hope this helps

vito
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2004, 11:30 AM   #3

The C4000Z does have manual white balance, though it's not especially intuitive or slick to use.

Failing that, the autobalance functions in most editing software, including PS Elements and Paintshop Pro, will remove the blue cast at the click of a button. I usually find that a much simpler option.

fenlander
fenlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2004, 1:37 PM   #4
Administrator

The problem with using color filters made for film, especially b&w film is that digicams have an automatic white balance feature and this willsimply be confused oroverwhelmedby thecolorproduced bythe filter. I'd use a polarizing filter to help kill some of the snow glare to prevent overexposureand then use a graphic programwith color correction to removethe excessive blue cast.
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2004, 6:57 PM   #5

Mmm, I guess for me I'd rather not use software to correct a photo. The reason being is that if I can correct the blue with software, then I have not learned how to do it with the camera.I am in the " learn how to take the photo first, then do it an easier way " school!

I have the polarizer filter and I think I will experiment with the white balance to see how that turns out and use software as a last resort. It is probably a good place to start.

Thanks for these great suggestions!

gemery

Old Dec 3, 2004, 9:57 PM   #6

Be carefull with exposure as well - underexposed snow looks gray and when that is corrected, it turns blue. Typically you want to open up one or two stops from the automagical built-in meter. Likely plus one or two EV on your camera.

Desaturation seems to help with a fair number of snow scenes:

but not always
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2004, 1:09 AM   #7

Thanks Bill. I never even thought of exposure, but what your saying makes sense as does the saturation. I am heading out soon to experiment a bit and it looks like it will be acloudy day on the day I am planning to go. But I see what you mean by the grey looking snow. ( I'm assuming that is an underexposed snow scene and not a B&W. )

I guess the thing to watch out for is the high reflectivness of light in snow scenes. I may post a few of the photo's I take and you guys can have a look at them and give me some direction. I really want to learn to work with the camera butsnow scenes are a new type of photo for me. That is why I bought the Olympus C4000. It was over my head......:-), but it is a camera I can learn with.

It's great to come here and learn from the pros! Many thanks guys!
Old Dec 4, 2004, 1:12 PM   #8

Keep in mind that battery life will be somewhat limited, and the camera should be kept in a sealed ziplock bag when brought indoors to avoid condensation.

Using a long zoom through snow fall can make the snow seem to fall more heavily. The usual slower shutter will make it seem like the snow falls faster. :idea:
hedwards is offline   Reply With Quote