Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Tips & Tricks

Old Sep 13, 2005, 11:35 PM   #21

DrDictionary1 wrote:
Quote:
My method involved adjustment layers for some of the coloration.
Very well done. It's hard to believe you accomplished that with my original. The colours are much more natural. I'm intrigued here... could you explain which adjustment layers you used? (and how you did it)

Cheers,

Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada
http://tomoverton.myphotoalbum.com
Tom Overton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2005, 7:07 PM   #22

It was actually pretty simple. First I did what I could with Hue/Saturation and color balance. However, after that, the picture had very dull coloring. If I remember right, I actually used a couple photo filters adjustment mask on the picture to create the green for the trees and grass and also for some fine-tuning of the bricks and handrail. Normally, however, I would use a Hue/Saturation adjustment mask, making sure to select "colorize" in the options window.
DrDictionary1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2005, 10:07 PM   #23

This tip is no help for 'after the fact' shot unless you go back to the same spot under the same lighting conditions, but...

If you find yourself in mixed lighting conditions, shoot a WhiBal shot. Huh? I heard someone say. Yes, shoot a picture in the same light as the one you want with a WhiBal reference card in the scene. Then in post processing, use the eyedropper to select the gray card of the WhiBal to set the white balance point. Use this setting to apply the white balance correction to all of the shots taken under the same lighting conditions.

Works really great if you shoot RAW, but is still a usable technique if you use JPEG.

You don't need WhiBal (tm) you can use any gray card that has neutral spectral reflectance (reflects all colors equally). Like the Myers or the Gretag. Avoid 18% gray cards that are for setting exposure (Kodak) since these were not designed nor tested to be color neutral.
jawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2005, 12:16 PM   #24

Hi,

sorry for gatecrashing but i thought i'd share the quickest way i know how to remove a lot of color cast. I havent re-coloured or used adjustment layers. This is the original with 3 operations.
So it's in no way as complete an image as drdictionary1 s masterpiece but it's a good starting point.

1. hue/saturation . desaturated the master channel by -35 cause it's pretty bad.
2 now the trick. - select match color and click neutralise. There ya go. If you want to tweak a bit you can use the fader that will be akin to fading the cast back in and also use the other sliders if needs be.
3. a little brightness and contrast tweak.

You could color balance but with black and white as predominant as they are by way of the sky and the lights and grey a little thin on the ground then actions 1-3 will pick it up.

As i say just a tip for helping with color cast and in no way a finished image. And it only took 5 mins.

hth,

cheers

Attached Images

nacoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2005, 12:57 PM   #25

DrDictionary1 wrote:
Quote:
It was actually pretty simple. First I did what I could with Hue/Saturation and color balance. However, after that, the picture had very dull coloring. If I remember right, I actually used a couple photo filters adjustment mask on the picture to create the green for the trees and grass and also for some fine-tuning of the bricks and handrail. Normally, however, I would use a Hue/Saturation adjustment mask, making sure to select "colorize" in the options window.
You may think that sounds simple, but it'd make great material for an in-depth step-by-step tutorial for people not that familiar with PS.

Norm in Fujino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2005, 4:36 PM   #26

Pretty effective, too. I suppose it wouldn't take too much to re-animate some of the greens that died along the way.

Good work.

Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada
http://tomoverton.myphotoalbum.com

Tom Overton is offline   Reply With Quote