Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Tips & Tricks

Old Jan 1, 2005, 9:11 PM   #1

As you can tell, my subject is motion blurred beyond recognition (I know who she is cause I could see her with my own eyes as I was shooting the pic, but I'm sure you guys probably wouldn't be able to tell)

camera settings (posted here because in the process of cropping the image lost the exif (but I still have the original):
Model: Canon PowerShot S1 IS
Exposure compensation: -1/3 stop
Shutter Speed: 1/15"
Aperture: F/3.1
Focal Length (35mm equivalent): 183mm
Flash: not fired
ISO: 100

If I had used ISO 400, my shutter speed would have been 1/60". While that would have been somewhat noisy, would that have been sufficient to make her much less blurred? I was too far away to use the flash.

pianoplayer88key is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 1, 2005, 11:34 PM   #2

It may have been sufficient, it's hard to say, but as a general rule, the shutter speed should be 1/focal length, so for a really sharp image you would need about 1/180 or 1/200. I also wouldn't recommend using anything slower than 1/60 due to camera shake.
rob_strain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2005, 3:01 PM   #3

I had IS on. Also, you can tell from the guy's head in the lower left that there really wasn't much camera shake. At full zoom, if I hold the camera right, I've been able to handhold 1/8 second.
Also, what do I do in the future if I'm set for ISO 100, when I half press the shutter realize I'm getting a slow shutter speed, and know that I only have 1/4" to increase the shutter speed by 2 or 3 stops and snap the shot or lose the photographic opportunity?
Also, on that shot I had to pan the camera over there quickly so I could even have a chance at taking the shot.

Also, does that 1/focal length rule apply to the 35mm-equivalent focal length, or to the true focal length of the lens? My camera has a 1/2.7" sensor, and based on a calculation I just did I would have had an approximately 25.4mm true focal length.
Old Jan 2, 2005, 3:07 PM   #4

IS doesnt help motion blur only camera shake.

As for the future, you should take a test shot to see how things turn out at ISO100 long before the photographic opportunity, and adjust from there based on the test shot. That way you wont miss the op, and you wont fudge it either.
rob_strain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2005, 4:52 PM   #5

I had been using ISO 100 for prior shots that had been working fine (I wanted to keep the noise low). I do have the shortcut button set to change ISO, so I guess I should have tapped it a couple times as I was on my way over to take that shot, so I could have had a 1/60" shutter speed.

Also, when/if my Canon S1 IS ever breaks, what would be a good camera that...
is a little smaller
has a wider aperture at wideangle and full zoom
has at least 5 megapixels
can zoom in to 500 or 600mm (35mm equivalent)
has a usable ISO 800 or 1600
is priced the same as the S1 was when new
has at least as good of a movie mode
???